This blew my mind

• Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CmtCnl6PmI&feature=related

I never really listen to finger style players, but this blew my mind. i might need to get into classical guitar. Are there any top classical players that doesn't have long finger nails? just have fake nails?

That is not difficult to do......I mean the part around .53 seconds where he slows down for about 4 seconds.:)

Regarding the fake nails, apparently some have tried but they often break or come off, so it's not a good idea. Finger picks aren't perfect but they are better.

• Members
That is not difficult to do......I mean the part around .53 seconds where he slows down for about 4 seconds.
:)

Regarding the fake nails, apparently some have tried but they often break or come off, so it's not a good idea. Finger picks aren't perfect but they are better.

Finger picks is what i was talking about. I wonder if that's close as good as the real thing. With all the lifting and stuff i do really long finger nails wouldn't be that good for me

• Members

Finger picks is what i was talking about. I wonder if that's close as good as the real thing. With all the lifting and stuff i do really long finger nails wouldn't be that good for me

Many people have and do use them successfully but you have to try a few to get the sizing just right so they'll stay on and in place. You could add a little bit of that white gauze bandage tape for gigs.

• Members

I doubt classical guys would.

Country Pickers like Jerry Read, Chet Atkins, Buster B Jones all use them. I think Buster B Jones wears acryllic nails and uses a thumb pick.

I agree with Bigboy. We're not saying you couldn't use it for classical but they are a different breed and sometimes people won't use something simply because it's frowned on by their peers which might be the case with the classical crowd. I would use what works for me and let whoever wants to, get wrinkles by frowning at me. After all, it's their face and they can do what they want with it. The same goes for me and my fingers and thumb.

• Members

Classical guitarists' nails are not actually that long - maybe 1 or 2mm (1/16") beyond the end of the finger. Serious guys shape them carefully.
There are plenty of guides on how to care for nails, in terms of making them tougher -
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=classical+guitar+fingernail+care&aq=f

They're still liable to break or chip, of course, if you do a lot of manual work - but of course, few pro classical guitarists are going to have day jobs involving heavy lifting or hard labour! (If they do, they would probably wear gloves.)

There's a discussion on this topic (nails or picks) here:
http://www.erikmongrain.com/disc/showthread.php?t=191

EDIT: talking of picks v nails, I just posted this on another thread:

Note: thumbpick and one fingernail. :)

• Members

I hated working on my nails when I played classical...To this day the damn things grow like a vampire's nails--despite only playing pickstyle for the last decade or so.

Players nails do vary depending upon the player, but really aren't all that long--just need to be consistent. It is not merely the right hand nails that are an issue though--left hand is also maintained longer than usual. When playing legato, it is necessary for a classical musician to pull off with the left hand nail--not the pad--making nail growth an overall pain in the butt.

There are many players that play entirely with fake nails; many companies now have prosthetic ones that are quite good. Although my first classical guitar instructor told me that he would occasionally use ping pong balls with superglue when he broke just before a performance (they call that using "players nails" now). I remember having to baby my nails for weeks before recitals; and before spring and fall concerts, or semester juries, damn it just got nervous and obsessive across the entire deptartment!

• Members

I like this song a lot. It is also one of the most known classical guitar songs I can think of:

Leyenda is really cool...Pretty fun to play and perform too! It is by Isaac Albeniz

The main pattern is actually quite easy once you get it down--the real challenge is in the slow section. Most of the versions of the song are critiqued to death for their lack of proper attention to the middle slow section.

The Segovia version is well played--but slow. I love Parkening or Williams on this song because they have a tendency to burn a bit more!

Archived