Everything you need to know about music theory

• Members

Hey all, not sure if this has been posted already or not, but I found an amazing website: http://www.musictheory.net/ it has tons of lessons and other goodies all pertaining to music theory!

I'm so happy I found this since I know nothing about music theory, have no idea where to begin learning, and what anything means, and it was so overwhelming. I'm gonna start drilling the lessons into my brain for sure!

Hope you guys find it useful :)

• Members

As you may guess, some of us have had this site bookmarked for years ;). But always a good idea to give a heads up for those who don't know it. IMO, it's the best theory site there is.

Work through the lessons in order, and if there's anything you're not sure about, try these:

http://www.teoria.com/tutorials/index.php

http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

... or ask here, of course! ;)

• Members

I don't even know what those terms mean /facepalm

half-step = semitone = 1 fret

sharp = higher in pitch

flat = lower in pitch

(Your education starts here :))

Oh, and to get the facepalm smiley, just cliick it in the smiley list (advanced reply window) ;)

No need to be embarrassed by ignorance, btw. Admitting to ignorance is a sign of intelligence. Pretending you know stuff is what's dumb. :)

• Members

Hi!

I have a music theory blog which is aimed at total music theory beginners. I haven't had time to continue it recently, but there's enough to get you going from scratch. Here's the link:

http://www.fretissimo.blogspot.com

It's basically how I would have wanted to get an introduction to theory all those years ago. Everything I read back then lost me very quickly. The link takes you to Part 5 at the top of the page - the menu is on the right of the screen. Using this is probably easier than starting with Part 1 at the bottom of the main page and working your way upwards.

Feedback appreciated...................either way :).

• Members

Thanks everyone :) Um, since this thread isn't dead yet, does anyone know if this is a good idea? Basically, college is coming soon for me, and I really wanna take the music theory courses there, and all that. Is tons of prior knowledge needed in order to do well? Obviously, and as indicated by this thread, I plan to learn as much as I can before than, but as I'm self-taught, I'm not sure how much I can accomplish. So, good idea? bad idea?

I just wanna learn all this stuff sooo bad!!! I feel like an energizer bunny who just sipped a bunch of monsters and red bull. I love the guitar too much, lol.

• Members

Thanks everyone
:)
Um, since this thread isn't dead yet, does anyone know if this is a good idea? Basically, college is coming soon for me, and I really wanna take the music theory courses there, and all that. Is tons of prior knowledge needed in order to do well? Obviously, and as indicated by this thread, I plan to learn as much as I can before than, but as I'm self-taught, I'm not sure how much I can accomplish. So, good idea? bad idea?

I just wanna learn all this stuff sooo bad!!! I feel like an energizer bunny who just sipped a bunch of monsters and red bull. I love the guitar too much, lol.

IMO, if you want to learn it that much, it's a good idea! Curiosity is enough. Ie, you have a desire to learn it for its own sake, regardless of anything you think it might do for your guitar-playing. That's the right attitude. If you go in unenthusiastically, just because you think you need it in order to be a better guitarist, that's the wrong attitude; you will almost certainly be disappointed.

Of course it will expand your musicianship, broaden your mind; introduce you to concepts and ways of thinking that hadn't occurred to you; give you a grounding in the development of western music; give you the language to talk to professionals. If all that sounds cool - no contest!

You should be able to find out from the college (syllabus? prospectus?) what prior knowledge - if any - is required for the music theory courses. Obviously, the more prior knowledge you have, the quicker you'll progress, and the better you'll grasp things if you go over them a second time. But I would imagine a college course ought to contain everything you need to know. Unless it's actually labelled "advanced theory" or something like that. IMO, an understanding of notation would be a good skill to start with, although a beginner theory course should teach you that.

And your enthusiasm will impress them! If I was a college principal or tutor, you're exactly the kind of student I'd want.

Good luck!

• Members

Thanks everyone
Um, since this thread isn't dead yet, does anyone know if this is a good idea? Basically, college is coming soon for me, and I really wanna take the music theory courses there, and all that. Is tons of prior knowledge needed in order to do well? Obviously, and as indicated by this thread, I plan to learn as much as I can before than, but as I'm self-taught, I'm not sure how much I can accomplish. So, good idea? bad idea?

This is very much the way i felt when i took my theory lessons.... Honestly I never understand when people dread learning stuff like that. I have ALWAYS been interested deeply in ANYTHING related to guitar. It have never been a chore one day in my life. As JonR said, bring that to your classes and you will be a welcomed addition to any. Good luck! You need any help understanding stuff come here and ask us. We'd be happy to assist you.

• Members

Thanks everyone

I'm going to echo what Jeremy said. My high school offered music theory only to 11th and 12th grade. as a 9th grader, I begged him to let me take the course. I aced it because it was all I paid attention to in school.

I do want to offer these cautionary:

-Music theory doesn't really tell you what to do. Rather, it's a series of observations: "If you do this, you'll get this sound."

-Knowing music theory won't help you write better, or play better. Not directly.

-Pay zero attention to the "great unwashed" who chide you for knowing what they don't.

-Music theory will be far more meaningful if you can learn to apply concepts on your instrument.

• Members

I don't have anywhere near the theory knowledge of some of the other guys here, but I fully subscribe to the "if you feel the itch, you have to scratch!" idea...ALWAYS follow your interests..whatever gets you excited..take the ball and run..

FWIW, the single most useful piece of theory I ever learned was how to harmonise the Major scale. That simple (relatively) concept has given me more practical help than any other. You think you know it...and then you find another application.

• Members

Wow! Thanks everyone, once again. The amount of support on these forums are astounding.

I checked what the college I'm going to has to offer and it says "Beginner music theory" so that should be the one for me :)

Thanks once again, all! I'll be sure to ask you guys for help if I need any :)

• Members
Wow! Thanks everyone, once again. The amount of support on these forums are astounding.

I checked what the college I'm going to has to offer and it says "Beginner music theory" so that should be the one for me

Thanks once again, all! I'll be sure to ask you guys for help if I need any

Cool. Before long, you'll be able to join us at the gurus' table! We'll get rid of the corpse of the one who just died (he is starting to smell), clean the drool off his chair, wash out his mug and brew you up some cheap coffee! :D (you might want to bring your own pillow, these wooden benches aren't too comfy...)

• Members

To build your theory/knowledge from the ground up I can recommend my Beginner to Advanced Series, which is free online at http://lessons.mikedodge.com/

Read the links in the order they are presented as each link picks up where the last link left off:

Intervals

Chord Construction

Diatonic Theory

Reading them in that order will start you at the fundamentals and help you build on them. I've been teaching this info using this method for 25 years now, which prompted me to create the site. And they have helped many people who pass through the Lesson Loft. Those lessons will definitely help you get a head start before taking your first class and beyond.

• Members

To build your theory/knowledge from the ground up I can recommend my Beginner to Advanced Series, which is free online at
http://lessons.mikedodge.com/

Read the links in the order they are presented as each link picks up where the last link left off:

Intervals

Chord Construction

Diatonic Theory

Reading them in that order will start you at the fundamentals and help you build on them. I've been teaching this info using this method for 25 years now, which prompted me to create the site. And they have helped many people who pass through the Lesson Loft. Those lessons will definitely help you get a head start before taking your first class and beyond.

Oh wow! Thanks a ton :)

and @JonR YAY! Guru's table!!! *wipes cobwebs off pillow*

• Members

Hi!

I have a music theory blog which is aimed at total music theory beginners. I haven't had time to continue it recently, but there's enough to get you going from scratch. Here's the link:

It's basically how I would have wanted to get an introduction to theory all those years ago. Everything I read back then lost me very quickly. The link takes you to Part 5 at the top of the page - the menu is on the right of the screen. Using this is probably easier than starting with Part 1 at the bottom of the main page and working your way upwards.

Feedback appreciated...................either way

That was some of the most insightful, as well, a different way of approaching the basics of music theory I have ever read.

I learned stuff from that, and I've been studying theory for a long time.

You need to continue that blog.

• Members
Hi!

Feedback appreciated...................either way

I agree with the others, that's excellent. I'd be very interested in feedback you get on it, positive and negative, so I'll bookmark it. I presume you'll update it all the time, if necessary? (I have nothing to say on it myself! keep up the good work.;))

• Members

I agree with the others, that's excellent. I'd be very interested in feedback you get on it, positive and negative, so I'll bookmark it. I presume you'll update it all the time, if necessary? (I have nothing to say on it myself! keep up the good work.
;)
)

Thanks, guys!

I started the blog back in June, when I supposed a lot of people would be busy doing summery things, and I haven't pushed it at all apart from a couple of references here in Lesson Loft. Your feedback is most encouraging, and comes just as the nights are starting to draw in - time to get going again.

I think the next part will be about stacking thirds, but I'm aware of the need to get "musical" as soon as possible. The goal is not to teach anyone how to play, rather it's a first step into what may be the uncharted waters of music theory - a springboard, and other appropriate metaphors and similies :).

I'd hoped someone would enjoy the off-beat approach, kooter82. It's extremely challenging, covering this subject. So much has already been written about music theory. At times I've spent a couple of hours on a single sentence, and then changed it the next day :).

My chewlube channel is linked to this blog, but is undergoing a re-arrangement. I started putting up some beginner guitar videos before commencing the blog, and later I took some of them down because I thought there should be a more direct relationship between the blog material and the video content. Then summer happened, and I've been outside a lot doing other things. I'll spend a couple of days sussing things out, and then get back into action with it all.

I've mentioned before here that I'm aiming to develop a blog which teachers, also, might find useful, as a place to point their students towards, to get them going from scratch. I know there's money in teaching music theory from the beginning, but I personally would prefer to let a couple of lessons go west, and have the student come back to me understanding some of the vocabulary, at least, before we got going in earnest.

Thanks again for the positive comments!

Archived