Loop at the end of effects chain - can't control playback volume on amplifier

adri123

• Members

Hi guys,

i'm struggling with something and i'd be glad if you could provide some insights.

My setup:

Guitar > some effects pedals > amplifier effetcs loop (= > Preamp IN > Preamp OUT) > delay pedal > loop station Boss RC-300 > amplifier Power Amp IN > SOOUUUNNDD!

Please see image attached.

It works.

I've put the RC-300 at the very end because i want to record my loops including the delay pedal.

BUT,

when i playback what i've recorded, the sound coming out of the amplifier is very very low. And i can't turn it up. I switch the VOLUME knob full power and nothing happens.

While if i actually play with the guitar, the VOLUME knob has its normal effect.

I just don't get it.

Any insight?

Best

3c3b68a7ca1e9722a705d48fe98a0819.thumb.png.7eb99f7be5ad75dd8e135d2b86506729.png

• Members

Check a few things. Are you using the correct input jack on the unit? It has a few. Next, check the Gain for the input you are using. If it is set low, then you won't get a loud loop. Be certain the output you are using is controlled by the output volume you are adjusting. Let us know what happens after all this.

• Members
Check a few things. Are you using the correct input jack on the unit? It has a few. Next, check the Gain for the input you are using. If it is set low, then you won't get a loud loop. Be certain the output you are using is controlled by the output volume you are adjusting. Let us know what happens after all this.

Hey thanks for your answer Axisplayer.

So i checked these things and they are OK. The proof is also that when i use only my guitare and the looper, directly into the amp. The volume knob of the amp works.

So here are the scenarios and the results:

SCENARIO 1 = my setup (see my original post) = Looper in the amp's FX loop.

RESULT

Volume knob of the amp works for looper playback: NO. It has no effect at all. May it be on 1 or on 10, the volume i get is the same.

Volume knob of the amp works for the guitar: YES. When i turn it up, the volume of the guitar goes up.

------

SCENARIO 2 = basic setup = Looper directly into the amp.

RESULT

Volume knob of the amp works for looper playback: YES. When i turn it up, the volume of the playback goes up.

Volume knob of the amp works for the guitar: YES. When i turn it up, the volume of the guitar goes up.

What i undestand from that, is that the volume knob of the amplifier can't amplify what is in the loop. Only what is before it.

In other words, it seems that the volume knob applies to the PREAMP and not to the POWER AMP.

Is that correct and is it supposed to be so ?

• Members

Yes, the way you have described the situation, it seems that the volume control on the amp is in the preamp. It seems everything else is in order. If the volume knob is only in the preamp and you bypass the preamp you lose that control for the looped, but not the guitar which is in your input TO the volume control and preamp. To really dig into the issue of why the volume is so low, we need to know the model of the amp you are using. Off the top of my head I think the output of your looper is guitar level (which is why it doesn't overdrive your amp input when used alone. Your power amp input expect a preamp level signal which your pedal doesn't seem to put out so it is too low volume to be a source for the power amp. Your pedal doesn't have an output level adjustment? If it did, you would turn that yp to the volume your want the looper to be, and then use your guitar volume and amp preamp volume to blend with it the way you want it to sound.

• Members
Yes' date=' the way you have described the situation, it seems that the volume control on the amp is in the preamp. It seems everything else is in order. If the volume knob is only in the preamp and you bypass the preamp you lose that control for the looped, but not the guitar which is in your input TO the volume control and preamp. To really dig into the issue of why the volume is so low, we need to know the model of the amp you are using. Off the top of my head I think the output of your looper is guitar level (which is why it doesn't overdrive your amp input when used alone. Your power amp input expect a preamp level signal which your pedal doesn't seem to put out so it is too low volume to be a source for the power amp. Your pedal doesn't have an output level adjustment? If it did, you would turn that yp to the volume your want the looper to be, and then use your guitar volume and amp preamp volume to blend with it the way you want it to sound.[/quote']

Indeed, playing with the output volume level of the looper pedal i can get a high volume. I don't need mroe than that.

When i posted the first message, i think the recording was bad too.

So i'm glad we elucidated the issue. Which is not one it seems.

>> The volume knowb of the amp control only the preamp section and not the power amp.

So if you want to raise the volume of your looper playback, you have to adjust the volume knob *of the looper*, not of the amp.

Thank you for your help Axisplayer. You put me in the right direction. We learned something. I didn't expect the functioning to be so.

Do you think this is how all amps with a loop work ? Mine is a Marshall Deluxe '90, with transistors.

Archived