kieth richards 5 string guitar

• Members

yeah all his G teles have the low E removed, tuned to G. I've tried it and much prefer to remove the low E but then move all the strings up one, so the A string is top pole piece. To each their own. I have also seen quite a few custom guitars from his collection that were true 5 strings. I f I remember they were kinda modern and not close to the character of his broadcasters, and early teles.

• Members

I used to wonder why too until I spent a fair amount of time playing in open G. The low e tuned to D, or 5th, gets in front of and overshadows the roots of the chords. IMO, it really takes hinders the sound of that tuning. If you can get away with it, tune the low E up to G or replace it w/ a string you can tune to G.

• Members

I remember being confused as a kid trying to learn all those songs but never getting them to sound right. Once I learned about open tunings, it was like a lightbulb came on and everything made perfect sense. You know, Keith gets a lot of grief (though some of it may be deserved) but I recall reading a GP interview with him and coming away with the impression that the guy is a freakin' musical genius.

• Members

I remember being confused as a kid trying to learn all those songs but never getting them to sound right. Once I learned about open tunings, it was like a lightbulb came on and everything made perfect sense. You know, Keith gets a lot of grief (though some of it may be deserved) but I recall reading a GP interview with him and coming away with the impression that the guy is a freakin' musical genius.

I never knew much in-depth Stones stuff so I was really shocked to see, in the movie Gimme Shelter, Keith having so much input in the songwriting. In particular when they were working on Wild Horses(I think) in the studio in Alabama.

• Members

If not for his playing, just for the fact of his progressions and songwriting skills.

• Members

actually keith had the nut cut differently too so that the high e string isn't as close to the edge of the fretboard. i think he may have removed the low E string so he could move all of the strings slightly up, maybe so bends and vibrato is easier for him?

Micawber, his #1 5 stringer tele with the PAF in the neck position is one of the most badass guitars of all time in my book. i think he uses his #3 on You Can't Always Get What You Want though.

• Members

Exactly. That's the impression I got. In addition to being a great player he also knows what it takes to make a song work and what won't cut it.

Yep. Listen to Wild Horses. No one but a musical genius would think of going from a G to a Bm? I would NEVER tihnk of that.

Archived