Only my rectifier tube is glowing?

Awilton

• Members

Hey guys I used to frequent this forum about ten years ago, it's good to be back. I have a fender delux reverb, and when I turn it on only the rectifier tube is lighting up. The red power won't even turn on. Obviously flipping it off standby does nothing. It happened a few weeks ago briefly but the problem resolved itself after 30 minutes or so, seemed to be working fine until now. I had all the tubes replaced almost two years ago to the day, but it's had light usage since then. Maybe 3 hours a week. Any ideas on where to start the troubleshooting?

• Members

The power transformer has several outputs that supply different parts of your amplifier. One ouput supplies the high voltage, another supplies the heaters for most of the tubes and the pilot ligt. The rectifier tube has a dedicated heater supply from the power transformer.

It is unlikely (but possible) that your power transformer is the problem. I would check the wiring that goes to your pilot light and to all but one of the tubes to see if there is a bad connection or cold solder joint.

I have seen the occasional pilot lamp socket come loose and resulit in a short circuit that could potentially damage the transformer but, more often than not, the transformer survived.

• Members

The Rectifier has its own heater supply. If all the other tube heaters are out, and the tubes are not heating up (hot to the touch), there aren't allot of possible faults. One life had a good idea to check the piolet light connections. You could also try removing all the tubes and plug them in one at a time and see if the filaments heat. Its fairly inconceivable one of the heaters are shorting down the rest of the tubes without blowing the transformer, but you could at least rule out that possibility.

The tubes heaters are all in parallel so only a dead short or an open circuit close to the transformer would prevent the others from heating .

I have seen many power transformers blow when the rectifier shorts out. You can check the heater transformer tap fairly easily. You pull all the tubes and put an ohm meter on the circuit. The twisted green wires supply the heater voltage goes to every socket so you can connect the meter at any tube socket where those wires connect. With all tubes removed you should still get a low resistance. If the meter doesn't show any conductivity, then you likely have an open transformer which needs replacement. If you aren't experienced in electronics, take it to a tech. You should be able to get a transformer for around $50~$75 pretty easily. Its just soldering it in takes some experience.

Here's and original one on EBay, so you wont have issues with wiring in a generic transformer with different color codes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Power-Transformer-for-vintage-Fender-Deluxe-Reverb-Worldwide-/112198586522?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Archived