5150ii settings??

Jballz5150

• Members

I'd think you'd be able to get it. That band plays typical heavy metal stuff. No ones going to be able to say, set the knobs here and instow presto you'll have that sound. That's not how things work with instruments and amps. Different guitars have different pickups, different pickup heights, wood types, hardware all affect what's coming out of that guitar cord so getting a sound from one guitar may be different from another guitar. Playing style and skill is a huge factor too.

Since you didn't mention the guitar or the pedals you might have (if any) I can only give you the unspecific general guide lines.

You want to get a metal sound you need a guitar with semi hot humbuckers. That's where the fatness begins. If you haven't got HB's then its unlikely any amp will get you there. Heavy drive with scooped mids in the 300hz range is pretty common for metal bands. Heavy metal pedals like the Boss HM2 plugged into just about any amp and get a similar drive tone.

Unless we know what you're using for a guitar its impossible for others to predict what the results would be using that head. You got to use your ears to tell you where to go and develop experience with the gear you have when you're looking for a specific tone.

The speakers in whatever cab you'll be using is equally important. A single 12" cab isn't going to sound the same as a 2X12" or 4X12" cab

If you were to ask, can that amp get you that sound with the right guitar, cab I'd say its probable. You may need additional pedals to drive the amp to the levels you need but a 5150 is a common amp used by metal bands. There are others. The 50W should you get those tones at lower volumes but metal bands usually use 100W amps for a reason. Its not just the sound and drive that's a factor, its the actual volume. Part of the metal sound comes from the drummer smashing the hell out of his drums to keep up with loud amps Thus the term "Heavy Metal" is part of what the music is all about. Having the sound so loud you feel it in your chest.

50W is still pretty loud. It would be ideal for rehearsals. I don't know how well it would so live if you have a drummer with over sided drums and a bass player using an SVT unless you mic it up. Buying the right amp really comes down to matching what the rest of the band is using.

Archived