Moving to a 220-240V country with an old fixed-voltage amp

Russell H.

• Members

I own a great '62 Brown Deluxe. One of my favorite possessions. My girlfriend and I are moving to Spain for a teaching job that will last for three years and I want to bring the amp. It has a road case. So my big concern is voltage. The amp is supposed to get 117V and 60 Hz per the standard here in America. And of course it's 230V and 50 Hz in Espana. Anybody else been in this situation? Touring players must have experienced this sort of thing.

• Members

The Hz doesn't matter with a tube amp, just the voltage. They make high amperage converter for this.

This one will handle 1600W and is only $10 I'm pretty sure the plug is right. I googled it ana it says to use a Type "F" plug. https://www.amazon.com/International.../dp/B000WQ0MTG

If you're living there permanently you may want to have the transformer in the amp changed over to a dual 230/115V. They cost about $62 here. http://www.classictone.net/40-18017.html You'd also need the European cord for it. You may be able to find one cheaper but I think you'll be OK with the adaptor. The amp will retain its value that way but there wont be any difference in its actual operation.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe having the amps power caps replaced if you haven't done it in awhile.

New caps should reduce any effects the lower 50 Hz should cause and would maximize protection against voltage spikes if their electrical grid proves to be unreliable. I'd pick up a spike protector when you get there too just to be sure.

• Members

Glad to read your comments, particularly with regard to the AC frequency. Some amp writers/bloggers say that the freq. is an issue. My deluxe was recapped recently and is in tip top shape. I'm going to shop around on amazon for a quality step down model. I'm sure they're out there.

Archived