Questions about Silverface Twin mods

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Silverface Twin mods

Just Bought a 73 Twin in pristine condition. Having so much clean headroom in a small space seems to be the challenge now. I read that by pulling the middle two 6l6's and disabling one speaker on a blackface, this will effectively drop the power to 40 -50 watts while having an impedance of 8 ohms on the one speaker.

Does it matter what speaker is dropped out, and I assume this works the same on a silverface as it does a blackface.

Doesn't matter which speaker.
    "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

I'd just use pedals to get my drive at low volumes, or you may want to have a master volume installed.
      Putting a low efficiency low SPL speaker in there will also do the trick.

I'm not sure if the '73 Twin has the pull-out Master Volume switch or not. If it does, you can unplug the reverb springs to get a bit more gain in the Vibrato channel with the Master Volume pulled out. This, combined with pulling two of the power tubes and a Les Paul driving it, can take the amp's overdrive into useful territory.

A strat is still going to need some help with that amp but a clean boost or a compressor will work quite nicely with it as well as your favourite overdrive pedal.

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Hi SG3,

I have been using a blackface twin for 0ver 25 years now, without too much trouble in a small space. I have to admit I'd usually use a smaller amp for home practice- the Mustang III works GREAT for that.

But now that you have a twin, we should use it right? The thing I love about my twin is that I can use it with any pedal, preamp or modeller, and it makes everything shine. Even a metalzone can have usable tone with a twin....lol.

If you just want drive or distortion, a stompbox will serve you well. I liek the ones that have dual functions like a drive and boost button. Basically you could turn it into a 3 channel amp easily. Great cleans and essentially custom made distortions. Something like this :

a little pricey, so maybe this?

at home, I lower the pedal volume and raise the amp volume- somewhat like a power soak. Playing out, you can gradually raise pedal volume- then do amp volume to taste or prudence.

I wouldn't really recommend taking out tubes or speakers. Essentially that is what something like a JSX does. but it is by design. You have a big amp- it likes BEING big. With a pedal and discernment it's doable.

I have the twin for playing out or when I can be loud, and the Mustang III for lower level playing. Perfect.

LOL sorry about the big pic....maybe I can find a smaller one. lol.