pedal chain cutting out

morrisonic

• Members

i have a problem.  several times while playing live, my pedal chain has cut out.  if i engage any of my pedals, i get no signal.  turning off all pedals, i can play my amp dry and it works fine (which is how i finished the sets).  

some background:  i use half a dozen cheap 9 volt stompboxes powered by a One Spot.  cut out always happens near the end of the set (fortunately).  i stomp on a box (overdrive, delay, or something else) and i lose the signal.  when i try to duplicate the mistake while playing at home in order to isolate the problem, i can literally play for 3-4 hours without a mishap.

the amp is a Ampeg GVT15.

can anyone tell me why this is happening?

• Members

Go to the spot one site and it should have a list of pedals it can be used with and their maximum current draw. You may have a pedal in the chain that draws more current then the spot one can handle and when you are pushing the boxes the spot one cuts out. Or it can be an extension cord going bad but it does sound like you're loosing power to the pedals.

• Members

I had the same exact problem.  It turns out my pedals were drawing too much current and I needed to add another One Spot.  I did that and haven't had a problem since.

It drove me crazy for awhile because I couldn't figure it out.  And it only happened at shows, never at home.  My pedal board would cut in and out when I was really pushing it during live performance.  Finally I had a tech come over and tell me he thought my current draw was too much for the supply.  He was correct.

Archived