What would be a good amp for both jazz and rock?

unit11

• Members

I'm looking for a decent volume amp for playing with my school's jazz and pep bands. The jazz band obviously requires a nice clean sounds, and the pep band plays alot of rock music. I'm not sure what environments the jazz band is playing in, probably an auditorium type setting, where as the pep band will be playing mostly in school gyms.

In jazz band, I'm sitting underneath a horn section mainly as rhythm. In pep band it kinda goes back and forth between rhythm(mostly) and lead.

The amps I was looking at so far include a Fender 15W Blues Jr.($400) and a Marshall AVT50 Combo ($200). I also thought the 30W Crate Taxi amps looked neat, but I haven't had a chance to play one. Portability would be fun, though.

The Blues Jr. Sounds like it will match the AVT50 for volume for the most part(even though its only 15W...), though I would expect the AVT to get louder. Between these two, which would be the better buy? Also, are there any other amps (under $500) that could pump out enough clean volume for jazz? I have some pedals for the distortion, so I'm not worried about on board effects.

• Members

The Univalve sounds great, but its price leans a little more towards double what I'm looking for than I'd prefer... mostly, I see it for around $900, and I'd like an amp for around 500 or less - any other suggestions?

• Members

You can find them much cheaper. I got mine from a local store for $600, and I've seen them sell on ebay for less.

By no means am I trying to pimp the Univalve here. I'm just saying $900 is a bit steep.

If you're not set on a tube setup, you might try a Tech 21. I think Alex Skolnick uses the Trademark 60 with his Gibson hollowbody.

• Members

If I could find one for around $600, I think I'd spring for it. I've never had a tube amp before, so the self biasing feature of the THDs does sound nice. I do wonder, though, what kind of tubes are high or low gain?

• Members

This is true, but I have the materials on hand to build a cabinet, so I'm not too terribly worried.

The F-30 interests me though, I'm going to have to go play one. I've found several used listings online for between 300 and 600 dollars, so its worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Try the Tech 21 Trademark 60. I play Blues, Funk and Jazz using a Gibson 336 > Wah, Compressor, OD, DDL >Amp.

I've managed to get the best sound/portability ratio for years.... Great amp plus the DI is Amazing..... just played 15 gigs in the last 3 weeks with this set-up.... brilliant!!! I've owned Boogie, Twin, Vox etc.

• Members

Laney valve combos. Didn't they make one that was sorta like a poor man's Vox AC-30?

Very sweet sounding cleans with a bit of treble roll-off. The overdrive sounds pretty monstrous as well. I don't know what your budget is, but you might consider a carvin Legacy combo as well.

• Members

dude, a jazz amp basically just needs HEADROOM. Most jazzers use solid state for this reason, and because the tube sound will often muddy up the articulation.

I think your best getting 2 amps, or a tech 21 or roland cube, since those have emulations. But do not get a smaller 20 watt tube combo, its not going to work for jazz.

I would look on ebay for an older solid state (or clean tube) jazz amp. Then, buy a nice pedal (barber direct drive is a safe choice).

Seriously though, stay away from amps like the blue junior, especially if your playing in a pep band. get something with 50+ watts.

Check out the roland amps, all models should be good, jusdt find one with the right size and watts.

Archived