X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 combo vs. 6505 combo

So I'm looking for a good high gain, metal combo and am thinking of going Peavey. Right now all I have is a Mesa/Boogie 30 watt which when cranked just does not have the amount of gain I want. I should add that I use headphones, so how well the peavey works with headphones is important. How does the 6505 compare with the 5150? is this the right amp I want for a high gain sound, but at the same time has good EQ as well?

Oh i should mention that I don't want to spend more then two grand.

5150/6505 are the same amps, they just changed numbers when evh's contract ran out with peavey.

Comment

What do you mean by using headphones? You have the amp mic'd up, and using headphones through a mixer or something like that?
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Modulus Mob #2</b><br />
      <br />
      <font size="1">GK 2001 RB : Ampeg SVP-Pro : Ampeg SVP-CL : Crest CA4 : GB STL 900 : Mesa Walkabout<br />
      Bag End S15D : Bag End S15XD : Aguilar GS112 (2)<br />
      G&amp;L ASAT : Sadowsky NYC PJ5 : Modulus Q5 : EBMM SR4 : Warwick Thumb 5 BO : Yamaha ATT-LTD II</font><br />
      <br />
      <font size="1">bassgirl9's Wah ha ha! best post of the day award. 2/12/08</font></div>

Comment

If you are only using headphones, as in plugged into the amp's DI or headphones output you are probably better off going for a modelling unit or a valve preamp with a good DI (for highain you could get an engl 530e).

DI s on valve heads/combos tend to sound pretty crap!
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><b><a href="http://www.sachanovak.com" target="_blank">www.sachanovak.com</a></b> </div><div align="center">-------------------------------------<br />
        <font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"> <b>PRS </b>Custom 24 * <b>Fender </b>S.E. Silverburst Tele * <b>Ibanez </b> RGA7 * <b>Fender </b>Am Std Strat * <b>Washburn </b> X 50PRO<br />
        <b>Diezel</b> Einstein * <b>Randall</b> RM22<br />
        <b>Matamp</b> 2x12 Custom Matamp &quot;Black&quot; cab * <b>VHT</b> 1x12 Pitbull cab</font></font><br />
        -------------------------------------<br />
        <font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><b>Good deals with: </b> Parka Dez, Ancient Mariner, daysofspeed, bennyg85, dangerous dan, The P-Man, satannica</font></font></div></div>

Comment

What do you mean by using headphones? You have the amp mic'd up, and using headphones through a mixer or something like that?

I don't have a basement or soundproof house so I can't crank the master up without plugging the headphones into the amp. Directly.
          The amp sounds horrible with the gain cranked and the volume low. It sounds too muddy. So I have to use headphones when I put the volume all the way. That is what I mean

Comment

I believe you have a mesa F30 which has a speaker mute switch at the back and a headphones output correct?

It would help you to get a DI box with some sort of EQing to make the DI signal out of the F30 a bit nicer, but I dont think you will achieve much...For your purposes a recording valve preamp or a modelling preamp would be much more suited.

I say, if you are prepared to spend 2grand get an Ax-effects.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><b><a href="http://www.sachanovak.com" target="_blank">www.sachanovak.com</a></b> </div><div align="center">-------------------------------------<br />
            <font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"> <b>PRS </b>Custom 24 * <b>Fender </b>S.E. Silverburst Tele * <b>Ibanez </b> RGA7 * <b>Fender </b>Am Std Strat * <b>Washburn </b> X 50PRO<br />
            <b>Diezel</b> Einstein * <b>Randall</b> RM22<br />
            <b>Matamp</b> 2x12 Custom Matamp &quot;Black&quot; cab * <b>VHT</b> 1x12 Pitbull cab</font></font><br />
            -------------------------------------<br />
            <font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><b>Good deals with: </b> Parka Dez, Ancient Mariner, daysofspeed, bennyg85, dangerous dan, The P-Man, satannica</font></font></div></div>

Comment

I don't have a basement or soundproof house so I can't crank the master up without plugging the headphones into the amp. Directly.
              The amp sounds horrible with the gain cranked and the volume low. It sounds too muddy. So I have to use headphones when I put the volume all the way. That is what I mean

5150's and 6505's don't have a headphone output or DI...there is no safe place to plug headphones into them...just like most tube amps.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Modulus Mob #2</b><br />
              <br />
              <font size="1">GK 2001 RB : Ampeg SVP-Pro : Ampeg SVP-CL : Crest CA4 : GB STL 900 : Mesa Walkabout<br />
              Bag End S15D : Bag End S15XD : Aguilar GS112 (2)<br />
              G&amp;L ASAT : Sadowsky NYC PJ5 : Modulus Q5 : EBMM SR4 : Warwick Thumb 5 BO : Yamaha ATT-LTD II</font><br />
              <br />
              <font size="1">bassgirl9's Wah ha ha! best post of the day award. 2/12/08</font></div>

Comment

Working...
              X