Steam and Music PCs

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam and Music PCs

Hiya all

I'm running windows 7 pro x64 and I got the Half Life Orange Box on the way to me.

My PC is set up perfectly for my music apps, Cubase 5 Studio, Reason, Superior Drummer.

I've heard the horror stories of using Steam so never used it. But apparently, even if you have a DVD version of Orange Box, you still need Steam. So in reality, does Steam **************** up anything badly? Or does it sit quietly in the background?

Think I'll make a full backup first though - just in case. Just wondered if anyone had any experience.
    Zazas Zazas Nasatanada Zazas

Good transactions:
    StevePage (b)
    Deadeye Dom (s)
    Maiden_Fan (s)
    metareal (s)
    YourGuitarHero (b)
    Ratae Coritanorum (b)
    ¤ Matt ¤ (s)

Funny, i did just install that game last week, and so far have not discovered any adverse effects on other software.
    But i run a veeeery old OS (2K) and old software - so this might not translate to your system.

And apart from the obvious that i don't like to have to connect to the net to search for "updates" before getting a singleplayer game up and running i have had no problems with the steam thing.
    And no problems with the connection to steam - sometimes being a really late adopter has its advantages
    Guitar picture, Gear List, Clip List and travel pics from Peru, Sri Lanka, Mexico and Indonesia. Bonus: Some pics from Denmark too.

Comment

You can quit steam at any time, and it doesn't have to start up with windows.

But aside from that, even if you left it running, the only problem i could foresee is it eating up memory (fairly noticeable footprint), and possibly sucking bandwidth during updates (which would also take some memory and cpu time away from your DAW/whatever).

So basically, shouldn't screw up anything if it's on, just maybe take up some processing that would ordinarily be open - and you can always turn it off.
      -- knowing nothing is better than knowing it all --
      http://www.killbotproductions.com

Originally Posted by guitarslinger

a one-titted homemade sexdoll with a magazine page as the face

Comment

I've just installed windows 7 and funnily just loaded HL2

anyways

steam is fine, no need to worry,. I did have an issue with loading episode 2 , got all mixed up with how to activate it/load it up, but clicked something and it worked
        Marshall JCM800 2205
        Marshall JMP 2203
        Line 6 DT25 Combo
        Blackstar HT40
        HD147
        POD HD500

Checkerboard Marshall 4x12 (Blackbacks)
        Mesa 1x12 3/4

2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Suhr Aldrich's)
        Edwards Les Paul Custom (JB/59)
        Ibanez 570EX (BK Cold Sweats)
        Yamaha APX700ii

Knight Of The Marshall Circle Of Tone

Comment

Working...
        X