School me on the Mesa Studio Preamp

eudaimonia02912

• Members

I haven't played the V, but the Studio is smoother and less aggressive/raw than the III/IV.

Less gain, too, but still more than you'll really ever need.

I don't know how different you'll need to be to justify it, so I'd try and check if out before you buy.

Depending on your needs, it could be perfect or WAY too similar.

• Members

It's nice preamp but I didn't like the overdrive or gain structure it had. I totally dig the cleans it has though. :love:

If you can dick around with for awhile to see if you like it or not, do that and decide. You might like it despite what others or myself say about it.

• Members

I would say that it is smoother, fatter, and less aggressive than the Mark III I have. I had both, and preferred the aggressiveness of the III. But, if you like the Mark lead tone for smooth, fat, fluid solos, you would like it. However, if you want Metallica crunch rhythms, it is a little too polite without an OD boost...

• Members

The quad is what you want. The studio is like a caliber I believe.

No. The studio is more or less, the top preamp section of the quad. I do have the "mod" to take it to almost exact mark IIC+ preamp specs. Nothing big deal...

Mike Bendinelli at mesa boogie, says that in fact if you want more cutting/brighter sound from the studio preamp all you have to do is disengage the recording outs that load the signal path somewhat (can't explain it, no electronics degree...). I have tried it in a different way: If you don't need the loop, take the send out to the power amp immediately. The signal has not passed through the recording out circuit or the final master volume (effects loop send volume a or b). It really is, a more open and bright sound not so smooth. It is fun to have both.

All in all don't think that all of these are enough to differentiate it from the mark family.

The caliber preamp (.50+ and .22+) the exact same signal chain (though different in some details) with the f-series preamp...

Input...V2A-Tone/Volume-V2B...V3B-FXLoop-V3A-MastVol-EQ-V5(Phase split)-PowerTubes

Lead adds an odd diff amp made with V1A and V1B between the input and V2A

Reverb is a parallel path between V2B and V3B

FX loop is PRE-EQ (f-series, post fixed graphic eq I think)

All tube, including FX send and ret buffers and reverb driver/buffer EXCEPT EQ is the same transistor design on all Mesa amps.

As you can see the bass mid treble in the caliber are in the middle of the gain stages. This actually, I like much more against the traditional mark in front or recto in the end of the boogie family it yields interesting results and is more forgiving. Settings that the studio preamp cannot tollerate (the recto I find a nightmare sometimes) the caliber style preamp likes!!!

By comparison the studio preamp signal path for lead channel:

V1a, tone controls, V1b, V3a, V3b, V2a, V2b, EQ. The lead channel adds both V3a and V3b to get over-the-top gain.

I actually find that the mark style gain only likes, treble above 6 and if you max it out it screams...Bass mid close to zero values...That is the mark voicing and there isn't anything more with other settings for me at least. (I like humbucker guitars.)

Studio preamp mark III preamp comparison

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36071

Not so many differences that one would imagine.

Oh, mandatory metallica sounds greek style with the IIC+ mod.

Plus, fastredponycar's studio preamp videos, made me buy it in the first place...

Excellent preamp. Not so versatile even though it has excellent cleans and distortion. Can't have it at the same time (settings for clean are way different than the settings that work on the lead channel). As a part of a good rack it is ok, as one's only preamp...maybe in the studio.

Archived