Heating/Air guys

Pepi

• Members

i need new central ac too, very relevant to my interests.

do you currently have central or ugrading to it? i have it and it is just old so it broke but the house is setup for it.

how big is your house? mine is 2 levels, 1750 sq feet, and the living areas are upstairs so it gets freaking hot. last summer was in the upper 80s inside, not fun at all.

• Members

My home was built in 1996 and they used Janitrol stuff. Cheap construction grade stuff. I'm ready to move up to a more efficient system. These new 96% units and high seer air can pay for themselves in a few years.

• Members

9k are you {censored}ting me!!!

{censored}ing hell, i need to plant another few money trees

why so expensive? labor or does the unit cost a lot? seems like unhooking the old one and hooking up the new one should be relatively easy right? what am i missing? i just got a new furnace and thermostat and duct work a few years back, will that help with the cost?

• Members

why so expensive? labor or does the unit cost a lot? seems like unhooking the old one and hooking up the new one should be relatively easy right? what am i missing? i just got a new furnace and thermostat and duct work a few years back, will that help with the cost?

both my singer and my younger bro had theirs done in the last 6 mo's. both were right around there for unit+install. :(

could be bigger units, though. thankfully at my place i just bought it's zoned so i have one for each. my younger bro only has 1 for his 2 story so i'm sure it's gotta work twice as hard with only 1 'stat.

• Members

also, TX is MUCH hotter than the mitten. we only get 1-2 weeks of upper 80s/lower 90s and the rest of year is pretty managable so spending 9k is not feasible for me right now.

i was just in san antonio and austin last week, holy cow is it hot there. awesome cities, amazing food and we had a blast but this northerner was not prepared for that at all.

• Members

No, unfortunately, it's not that easy. Refrigerant is expensive, as it reclaiming it and charging systems. Specialty tools, and certifications are needed for this. It's not cheap.

And to Pepi. I'd say that's pretty reasonable. My company sells Ruud/Rheem equipment, and for a complete 14.5 seer package (furnace/condenser etc) 90k btu, dual stage, 3 tons of cooling, the contractor is looking at around 4k of cost on the equipment alone. Add the labor, ancillary items (refrigerant, fittings, duct work etc...) and that sounds pretty reasonable.

• Members

also, TX is MUCH hotter than the mitten. we only get 1-2 weeks of upper 80s/lower 90s and the rest of year is pretty managable so spending 9k is not feasible for me right now.

i was just in san antonio and austin last week, holy cow is it hot there. awesome cities, amazing food and we had a blast but this northerner was not prepared for that at all.

yeah those places are warm but they don't have the humidity like we do over here... :lol: i went to school a little N of austin and welcomed the more dry heat. we've had record humidity levels here the last few days in the mornings. it was like heat index of 87 when i left at about 7:15 today... :lol: just ridiculous. usually it's not til later in the summer that it gets so oppressive w/ the humidity but we've had a lot of rain lately so it's even worse.

• Members

No, unfortunately, it's not that easy. Refrigerant is expensive, as it reclaiming it and charging systems. Specialty tools, and certifications are needed for this. It's not cheap.

And to Pepi. I'd say that's pretty reasonable. My company sells Ruud/Rheem equipment, and for a complete 14.5 seer package (furnace/condenser etc) 90k btu, dual stage, 3 tons of cooling, the contractor is looking at around 4k of cost on the equipment alone. Add the labor, ancillary items (refrigerant, fittings, duct work etc...) and that sounds pretty reasonable.

not to mention with the new EPA changes that is phasing out R22. What limited stock is still in hand is being sold for literally triple the price. For instance we bought 1 canister of R22 for $95 less than 9 months ago. Just ordered some more at $285/canister... its {censored}ing insane.

• Members

both my singer and my younger bro had theirs done in the last 6 mo's. both were right around there for unit+install.
:(
could be bigger units, though. thankfully at my place i just bought it's zoned so i have one for each. my younger bro only has 1 for his 2 story so i'm sure it's gotta work twice as hard with only 1 'stat.

It doesn't necessarily work twice as hard, it just cools the whole house anytime that one area around the thermostat calls. Multiple zones make it easier on the system, because different floors/areas of the house retain their heat differently, so the system runs less.

• Members

not to mention with the new EPA changes that is phasing out R22. What limited stock is still in hand is being sold for literally triple the price. For instance we bought 1 canister of R22 for $95 less than 9 months ago. Just ordered some more at $285/canister... its {censored}ing insane.

The price literally doubled in the northeast a couple months ago. It's treated as a commodity now, and our pricing changes on it almost everyday. In CT, you'll easily pay between 300-400 bucks a can now. They cut worldwide production of R22 in half, and the next day, the price skyrocketed.

• Members

It doesn't necessarily work twice as hard, it just cools the whole house anytime that one area around the thermostat calls. Multiple zones make it easier on the system, because different floors/areas of the house retain their heat differently, so the system runs less.

Ok, right so if you just want the upstairs cooler, you're gonna have to freeze out the down depending on where your 'stat is, is all I mean. At least when it's zoned you can alternate and if you're (like me) and not upstairs all that much can leave it higher so it just keeps it bearable and not "as comfortable". My house doesn't have a radiant barrier (yet) but in the 2nd story attic there's motorized fans that kick on and vent the air once it reaches above 105 up there, so neat little trick. I keep it on like 82 and that thing still runs more than I want it to.

• Members

I just had quoted a 90% Goodman 70BTU/hr, ducting to 5 rooms = $11K. That didn't include plumbing or electrical.

That seemed very high to me considering that the furnace only cost about $1K. I'm looking into doing the majority of the work myself and hiring a plumber for the gas line connection.

I have a good friend who is a Mech Eng specializing in HVAC to help design the ducting. I'm confident with connecting the combustion exhaust. I reviewed the furnace installation manual and understand it. I still have a lot of research to do before I feel comfortable tackling this, but I really think it will be doable.

• Members

isnt goodman like the worst brand out there?

all the people i got quotes for my furnace bad mouthed them.

I pretty much only see big Trane units around here, fwiw... :idk: And I know those units are running 24/7 during the summer.

• Members

isnt goodman like the worst brand out there?

all the people i got quotes for my furnace bad mouthed them.

Like all of them ... They have their construction grade and high-end units.

• Members

Ok, right so if you just want the upstairs cooler, you're gonna have to freeze out the down depending on where your 'stat is, is all I mean. At least when it's zoned you can alternate and if you're (like me) and not upstairs all that much can leave it higher so it just keeps it bearable and not "as comfortable". My house doesn't have a radiant barrier (yet) but in the 2nd story attic there's motorized fans that kick on and vent the air once it reaches above 105 up there, so neat little trick. I keep it on like 82 and that thing still runs more than I want it to.

You've got the idea. Attic fans are a great way to keep your attic cooler, and in turn, keeps your house cooler. They can be detrimental if your roof/attic isn't set up for them. For instance, most cobra and soffit vent systems are best utilized with no fan system, so it will vary from house to house.

• Members

You've got the idea. Attic fans are a great way to keep your attic cooler, and in turn, keeps your house cooler. They can be detrimental if your roof/attic isn't set up for them. For instance, most cobra and soffit vent systems are best utilized with no fan system, so it will vary from house to house.

My units are original to the house (about 12 y's old) so I know one of them will be going within the next year or so... :( I did just have 'em serviced so they'd fall under the home warranty, at least.

• Members

I just had quoted a 90% Goodman 70BTU/hr, ducting to 5 rooms = $11K. That didn't include plumbing or electrical.

That seemed very high to me considering that the furnace only cost about $1K. I'm looking into doing the majority of the work myself and hiring a plumber for the gas line connection.

I have a good friend who is a Mech Eng specializing in HVAC to help design the ducting. I'm confident with connecting the combustion exhaust. I reviewed the furnace installation manual and understand it. I still have a lot of research to do before I feel comfortable tackling this, but I really think it will be doable.

Duct work is a pain in the balls. Tin knockers are like artists. If you do it yourself, good luck sir.

• Members

Duct work is a pain in the balls. Tin knockers are like artists. If you do it yourself, good luck sir.

Really? I had a feeling that was the case. Another job that looks easy but isn't. Do you work in the industry?

As far as goodman is concerned, I've heard (internet gossip) their newer products are quality.

• Members

Really? I had a feeling that was the case. Another job that looks easy but isn't. Do you work in the industry?

As far as goodman is concerned, I've heard (internet gossip) their newer products are quality.

I was a plumber for 10 years and for the last 6 years I've been working at a plumbing and heating wholesaler. I honestly am not too familiar with Goodman, but i just asked a couple guys i work with, and they're not too fond of them. Lower Mid to Mid grade is what they're saying.

Archived