Tubes For SF Bassman Head

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

I had a thread about this head back around Christmas where yall recc tubes for this thing, but so help me I cant find it. Turns out I need all of em. A friend tested the tubes and this is what he said. 

Your power tubes are completely dead, I think it may be your rectifier tube that is bad and your preamp tubes show in the low side of good. I would replace them all and keep the 7025 tubes for spares. 

The power tubes are what is keeping it from working they are completely dead. 6L6 tubes

I want to go ahead and order the tubes and get er runnin, will prob still take it in for a cap job at some point.

Amplified Parts and ANtique Elec Supply have complete JJ sets for around $71. Appears Tube Depot dosnt break em down in sets by amp. 

Yall were recc some differrent brands besides JJ as the best for each application, preamp, rectifier, and power tubes, wish I could find the thread. 

What are your favorites? I mainly want stuff that will last. I'm willing to pay a little more for the best and is reliable and durable.

bassman

• Members

Pine Apple Slim wrote:

I had a thread about this head back around Christmas where yall recc tubes for this thing, but so help me I cant find it. Turns out I need all of em. A friend tested the tubes and this is what he said. 

Your power tubes are completely dead, I think it may be your rectifier tube that is bad and your preamp tubes show in the low side of good. I would replace them all and keep the 7025 tubes for spares. 

The power tubes are what is keeping it from working they are completely dead. 6L6 tubes

I want to go ahead and order the tubes and get er runnin, will prob still take it in for a cap job at some point.

Amplified Parts and ANtique Elec Supply have complete JJ sets for around $71. Appears Tube Depot dosnt break em down in sets by amp. 

Yall were recc some differrent brands besides JJ as the best for each application, preamp, rectifier, and power tubes, wish I could find the thread. 

What are your favorites? I mainly want stuff that will last. I'm willing to pay a little more for the best and is reliable and durable.

bassman

Uh, I don't know what to say about your friend. BF and SF Bassman heads don't have rectifier tubes, Leo went SS rectification early in the Blonde era (~'61) for most heads and never went back (though CBS would eventually introduce the SF Bandmaster Reverb that used a tube). And if the power tubes show completely dead, I'm guessing his tube tester hasn't been calibrated, which they need regularly. But that's just nit-picking.

You need three 12AX7/7025, one 12AT7 (I prefer NOS for these), and two 6L6GC. Pick your poison, everyone has their favorites. For new production, people really like the short bottled TAD 6L6WGC-STR for Fender tone. Otherwise,. the SED 6L6GC is a staple for many people, but they have really gone up in price. They often last longer than others but their higher prices may off-set any benefits of that.

How much other work ahs been done on it? If the filter caps and other electrolytics haven;t been repalced, those whould be done before any other diagnostics.

Archived