X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new amp

Up until now i've been making do with bass amps, and i'd like to get a true guitar amp before i go to school. 

I've got an Ibanez AF75, id prefer a clean sound, and i'll go as far as $300-$350 on it.

It doesn't have to be huge, seeing as it'll be used in a dorm mostly, but i'd like it to be handle small open mic-type events. I'm thinking a 1x10 or 1x12 should work.

So far i've looked a bit into Fender Mustangs. There are 40 and 100W versions that seem pretty good.

40W 1x12 for $200

100W 1x12 $330

I was told to check out these Peavey Vypyrs, pretty much same specs in the same 

30W 1x12 for $200

100W 1x12 for $300

And then this one caught my eye, but the small size made me weary of it. I originally was looking that the acoustic modeling version, because i want to put electrics in my GS Mini, but then i saw there's a regular modeling version too.

Regular

Acoustic Modeling

So, opinions on those amps for my guitar? Thoughts on the modeling abilities of the different brands? Is a 100W 1x12 too much for a 'dorm' amp? It'll be at a music school. Any others models i should check? I browsed the Orange selection a bit.

Something that caught my eye is that the 100W Vypyr has models for bass and acoustic too, so in theory would it be a good amp for my various instruments?

Mustangs and Vypyrs ? Been there and done that  The concept sounded good but the amps didn't.

I would recommend you look at the Roland Cubes - way better amps.

Comment

• thom
      thom commented
      Editing a comment

I'd go with something different personally...

Marshall Class 5, Vox AC4TV, Blackstar HT-1,...

They won't cut it in a live/rehearsel situation though, so if that's a thing.

For something that doesn't sound choked/lame at home and will do fine with a drummer and other guitarists: Vox AC15C2, orange terror series, egnater tweaker, blackstar artisan 15,...

Just of the top of my head, based on volume/power and versatility.

• Steve2112
      Steve2112 commented
      Editing a comment

weaselphartz wrote:

Mustangs and Vypyrs ? Been there and done that  The concept sounded good but the amps didn't.

I would recommend you look at the Roland Cubes - way better amps.

The Mustangs have very good reviews, generally. Even among tube/vintage snobs.

Elaborate?

The "version 2" Fender Mustang amps are "better" than the "version 1" amps. Try a couple out. 5 year warranty is a good thing.

Trooper #179. Epiphone Sorrento 50th ann. reissue, Riviera P93 (wine red, black pearl, gold), Wildkat, ES-355, SG 400, Dot Studio, ES-335 Pro, LP Standard Pro+, LP Junior , EL-00, Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Strat, Deluxe Stratocaster, Affinity Tele, Greco electric double cut, Gibson LPJ, Les Paul Special Humbucker, Montaya LP, Regal Duolian RC-2, Marcus Martini A mandolin, Valencia A electric mandolin, Savannah F mandolin, Maestro mando-caster, Ktone F mandolin, Stella 12 string acoustic, Hondo H-320, Yamaha F325, Rogue 6 string lap steel, Warmouth P bass, Vox Amplug AC30 and cabinet, Mini 3 G2, AromA mini recording amp, Digitech Whammy V5 and MIDI controller, T C Electronic Transition and Flashback loopers, Boss Distortion DS-1, Electro-Harmonics Ravish sitar simulator w/ 2 MOOG expression pedals, Epiphone tweed mini, studio acoustic 15C, Fender Mustang II V1 w/footswitch, Mustang Mini, Passport Mini, GDEC 3-30 w/4 button footswitch, Mustang 3 V2 w/ expression pedal and 4&2 button foot switches, Hiwatt Bulldog 20, Bugera V5 and 2x12 cabinet, Acoustic Lead 20, Marshall G10 MKII, NuX Amp Force, ZOOM G2Nu w/ expression pedal, SoundTech QM802 compact mixer. lol

Comment

I like egnater tweaker combo 15 watt combo amp. Tube sound is superb over solid state amps. Also have a mustang. Light weight with a lot of amp modeling which helps for recording layered tracks and playing different styles of music with custom presets etc. good for open mic performances, but not live play really. I play simultaneously through a bass amp and the tweaker combo to get a nice full sound. Maybe keep ur bass and get a nice tubed combo amp play through them simultaneously with an abY pedal

Comment

Working...
      X