Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

In need of some tube amp guidance! Share some knowledge!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of some tube amp guidance! Share some knowledge!

Hey! Well, originally I was saving up for a Fender Super Champ XD, but just as I had the money for one, they stopped selling them. So, as luck would have it I'm looking for another amp that's just as versatile, and relatively the same price ($300 or so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnjnU55JL4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

At 2:10-2:20, this is actually the main tone I want, but I'm new and plan to play in all styles so the versatility of this amp is a must, for its price I can't find a better amp, if anyone knows one that can, or anywhere - aside from e-bay - that this specific amp can be purchased from please let me know! Thanks ahead of time, these forums have helped me out so much over the past few months, and I appreciate it so very much, best site online!

Ive played this amp before... IMO, it wasnt anything that special to be honest with you..It had some cool blues tones in it.. As far as the tone at the 2:10 mark, I was expecting much more.. lol.. thats a very basic no frills clean tone... If your interested, I have an original 1966 fender champ (blackface) that Id consider selling.. thats the real deal fender champ tone...

Comment

• thom
      thom commented
      Editing a comment

Can't really knock what I haven't tried, but I've never been too impressed by the clips and live action I heard from a champ xd. For the money there's a whole lot of really though competition out there imo.

But that wasn't your question, if the champ xd is what you're set on, just buy a used one and spend the rest of your money on beer. I'm sure it's a good amp, no matter what I or anyone else tells ya. But there's very little risk in buying used, especially if you can take someone with you who's got a little experience with tube amps.

So what would you recommend for achieving that tone?

Comment

My price range, is max 400, for an amp anyway lol.

Comment

• thecakeguru
        thecakeguru commented
        Editing a comment

Tube or solid state? Your not going to get a whole lot of tube amps for this price range.. not gonna happen.. If your just after a really good clean tone, the fender frontman 212, is really nice

Any thoughts on a line 6 mkii?

Comment

• VTEC_Dreams
        VTEC_Dreams commented
        Editing a comment

Your budget, for what you need--I'm assuming bedroom volume stuff, because that Fender is a little bugger--Yamaha's new little lunchbox amp, the THR, is going to be the bees knees.

Either that or a Roland Cube.

I like the Cube better personally, but that's because I'm a Roland nerd-o, and because you can get a Cube that's actually usable outside of the bedroom. They make a *ton* of different sizes and models of the Cube. The Yamaha is a great little amp, though.

I need the amp to be both bedroom quality, and giggable. That's why I was curious about the mkii

Comment

• VTEC_Dreams
        VTEC_Dreams commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never used a Line6 product I liked, to be honest. A lot of folks swear by them--especially the Pod series--but I think they're stale sounding, generally speaking.

The Cube does the same thing any Line 6 product will do, but it's made by one of the most reputable and thorough companies on the planet.

Get a Cube 60/80XL and you'll have an amp that sounds great at bedroom volumes and can still cut timber live if need be.

I see tons of them used for dirt cheap, too.
    Working...
    X