Custom Made Tube Amp

rhythmdoctor

• Members

Hey folks.  I'm having a custom made amp built for me from a local guy here in Chicago.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have him basically replicate a Fender Twin then I'll change the look of it etc...

One question I'm curious about is the difference between having two 12" vs one 15" etc...  I'm not the most savy tech person around, primarily just a player, but I'd like to know some of the key differences in tone and volume etc...

Basically, anything you think will help me build the best amp I can would be much appreciated.  I'm a huge Dead, Beatles, Neil Young fan... and I know the Twin is a tried and true amp.  I would like to be armed with the most information possible before giving a down payment.

Thanks

• Members

Ask to have a PPIMV added.

It is a master volume that is bypassed when fully up (so it is like it is not there) but will allow you to manage the overall volume.

Otherwise, if your build is 80w like a Twin, you will probably never get the volume up past 2.

Best wishes to you.

• Members

antriv wrote:

Ask to have a PPIMV added.

It is a master volume that is bypassed when fully up (so it is like it is not there) but will allow you to manage the overall volume.

Otherwise, if your build is 80w like a Twin, you will probably never get the volume up past 2.

Best wishes to you.

Listen to the noob! ;p

Solid advice imo. Another idea, so you don't just end up with a priceyer and fancier looking twin: 

Ask for some sort of build-in attenuation. I know a twin sounds fine at any volume level, but if you plan on ever using it in your living room at the wee hours, you'll appreciate a way to get rrrreally nice tones without waking up your neighbours. You could have the guy take a look at the Fender Tone-Master's schematic for instance. I think it basicly allows for a controlled impedance mismatch. Can't say what sort of tricks or costs are involved though, other than a gigantic PT.

• Members

A 15" speaker does not make more low notes per se, but will increase the perception of low notes due to the way that bigger speakers work and the size of the cone.  

2x12 speakers will have more surface area than a 1x15, so even with the wattage split in half between them they will make more sound.  2x10 speaker cabs have more surface area than 1x15, and this is why 4x10 setups are used in say bassman amps and ampeg bass amps.

If you are concerned with loudness, it is good to pick a speaker with a efficiency that matches your needs.  Going from 50 to 100 w is as big a difference in perceived volume as using a 100db vs a 97 db speaker.  Part of why twins and ac30 amps are loved is their 2x12 efficient speakers.  If this is going to be a super clean amp, you may want to check out some of the 12" metal dome cones, but if you want any sort of distortion steer clear 

there are some speakers made inefficient on purpose for cranking amps up, and some of the classic fenders were known for this.  I believe the princetons were one but I am not sure.  Weber sells a speaker made for cranking up super reverbs.

Archived