Advice on live rig for a vocalist please

SoulMan1981

• Members

Hello all,

My brother is joining our band as a vocalist. He's never sung in a band outside of family gatherings and karaoke etc so he has no rig of his own to sing in bars / pubs etc

I was thinking a Shure SM57, standard mic stand but what about the PA? Even if the venues have one (which most do) he'll need something for once weekly practises, so it should be loud enough to stand up to electric bass, electric guitar and drums playing soul & roots rock music. I literally have no idea about how most vocalists amplify themselves - I only know about bass and guitar amps (which, I gather, are totally different)

I suppose further down the line we can pick up a tube preamp for some warmth / grit, and maybe an FX unit for some slapback delay, reverb?

Thanks for any help in advance!

• Members

This is what I use - total cost was around $800 mix of new and used equipment.

Mic SM58

Mixer - 16 Channel Alesis with built in effects

Power AMP - 200 Watt - ART 

2 Passive 12" Floor Monitors - Yorkville

Not cheap....

Alternatively you can buy a mic and powered speakers.

• Members

Cheers, mate. We just need something *now* that he can practise with, and we can upgrade it as and when. The only FX I can think we might need are some slap-back echo and a bit of reverb, maybe some EQing? And why 16 channels?

Separate power amp and speakers might be the way to go, tho, as they can be upgraded separately.

Archived