Is mixed voice real?

fireaero

• Members

Hi! This is my first post.

So, I have been using Brett Manning's method for a while, but I started on the Four Pillar's of Singing. I realized that they disagree on this: Mixed voice. Brett Manning says that Mixed voice is HUGE if you want to be a singer. It is one of the big things that separate the amateurs from the professionals (Ok, just paraphrasing here :lol:) However, Rob Lunte seems to disagree with this. For example:

[video=youtube;HNfpeHE6Wls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNfpeHE6Wls

At 8:20, he explicity says, "There is no mixed voice." Now, I've been on this forum for a while now, so I know that you trust Rob Lunte more than Brett Manning, but I wanted to ask: Do you think that when you sing in mixed voice, that your registers are actually blending, or you just have a wonky sounding, but pure head/chest voice?

• Members

In singing and vocal arts in general, there are many words and names used for the same thing.

Manning does not mean the same mixed voice that Robert means, probably. So on the surface it appears as if though they disagree, but most likely they're saying the same thing with different vocabularies.

• Members

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :cool:

Well, I found a conversation on Youtube between Lunte and another person:

The other person said, "Actually I think he's misunderstanding the term mixed voice. It doesn't imply any hidden kind of register it simply means the headier tone is more connected to chest, fuller not so light. I could sing a g4 in a way that makes me almost sound like a girl or decide to connect it to chest and sound more manly. Going more towards the latter is "connected to chest" hence the mix. If you want to get technical it's how much of the length of the chords is actually vibrating."

Lunte replied, "Explaining what you mean by "mix" is not the point. I know what you mean when you say "mix". But the majority of students do not. If you were a voice teacher, you would know that it confuses most people. In any case, you do a nice job proving my point because your explanation of "mix" is not correct either. It is clear you also do NOT know how to explain it. And lastly, to get technical, it has nothing to do with the length of the vocal "chords" and there is no such thing as vocal chords..."

Here, he seems to say that mixed voice does exist, but he prefers to use other terms to describe mixed voice to avoid confusion. So, I guess you are right.

• Members

Mmmh, they get hung up on words and definitions all the time. No such thing as vocal chords? That's cool...

But whatever, I think the point he's trying to make is that our vocal organ is not really shaped as two chords, but rather two sheets of elastic tissue brushing against each other.

• Members

Whoops, it seems like this topic has been brought before. I went and realized that there are actually more than 2 pages on this forum. More specifically, there are 86 pages. I should pay more attention next time.

If you can't find it, the topic is here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2885858-Covered-Low-Head-vs-Mixed-Voice&daysprune=-1

Sorry for making you answer this question twice :facepalm:

• Members

I sort of agree with lunte as when a few resources I tried the way they talked about mixed voice made it sound like some magical cure all when its just being well co-ordinated with your head and chest.

The stuff they taught was valuable and subsequent teachers have commented that I have a fairly decent head voice but its a fairly "light" technique whereas luntes technique is real balls to the wall rock opera stuff.

Archived