I am in need of some honest opinions....the more brutal the more better XD.

xxdutchiexx

• Members

hello, I could really use some honest feedback about my voice and maybe even some advice or tips about how I can improve.

I have always thought it would be amazing to be able to sing good but when ever I tried to sing it was the most unpleasant thing you could possibly hear, no lie, one time I attempted to sing adels "hello" and my neighbors actually came over to see if everything was ok lol, it was that bad.

so for the last couple months I have been practicing singing, i made hardly no progress at all until last night. last night I accidentally sang a small part of a song decently and it seems I can now sing tons better then before if I apply this technique to my voice. its hard to explain how it works, its like, I used to try and constrict my throat in order to try and control the sound and pitch of my voice, but now i found that singing is a lot easier if I simply dont try to constrict or limit my voice in anyway, its like I open up the back part of my mouth and throat and just let my voice reverberate naturally..it sounds stupid but thats the best way i can discribe it.

I know my voice is not at all good but I do intend to keep improving my vocal abilities. It would be great if anyone could have a listen and tell me if i am on the right path or not.

by the way, what you hear now is actually so much better then how I sing last night, I didnt upload my recordings from before because the difference is so much that you guys would probally think its bull**************** lol. but if u want, i am willing to embarrass myself further and upload my previous attempts at singing.

• Members

Maybe you weren't as bad as you thought..I don't think you could go from being awful to that in a couple months. It's very mumble-y and I can't really tell what you're singing ..but the tone sounds nice even if it is pretty low in your range. Sounds like you have a good foundation to build on..go and find a good teacher.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback, now that mentioned it i can completely hear how mumble-y it is, i will definitely begin working on fixing the mumble-y sound.

So i was singing low? my voice is naturally very, very, very deep so to me I was signing extremely high :smiley-lol:

I went ahead and uploaded a recording of me singing 2 days ago, I made a huge leap in progress, I was truly as bad as I claimed lol.

• Moderators

Hi Dutchie,

Had a couple of listens. This ain't bad at all. And the throat phenomenon you mentioned isn't something stupid, it's actually the proper sensation when it comes to singing. It's what we called the "Open Throat" or a lift in the soft palate, which helps in resonance and fuller tone. The main issue that stands out with this vocal is the breathiness, which is fine to do for occasional effect, but can fatigue the voice over time if done too much. Overall, I think your voice has the potential to improve, you have a good starting point. Though I would be interested in hearing how your voice reacts to a slightly higher range.

Archived