Tonedeaf or able to hit some notes?

bellalangen

• Members

You are flat almost throughout. It is pretty consistently flat, and my ears were able to adjust to it a bit after 15 seconds or so, so you are not tone deaf. It is clear that you can hear the melody line. You are just not using the correct technique to sing it.

• Members

Get yourself and electronic tuner with a built in mic. You can get one for $10 these days. Sing a pitch and try and keep the meter centered on the note. This will give you a visual guide to hitting pitches. Its very difficult by the way. You may only be able to keep the meter centered with extreme concentration but it does make you focus on how you are producing a note.

The other trick is to sing through an auto tune or pitch shifter. When your pitch is steady you'll get a lock, when you're off it will glitch all over the place. You can get a pitch shifter for a DAW program set up on your computer but you'll need a mic and interface to get it to work right.

Using headphones and a mic can help too. Instead of hearing the sound come through your skull to your ears you'll hear your voice more like others hear it. It can take a long time to get accustomed to your own voice. I been doing it a long time recording and it still takes me awhile to get in the pocket.

• Members

^

Can't help recalling you say this on the other thread..

Seeing a visual response may be interesting but it actually does nothing to actually improve your skill as a musician.

Anyway, I've always believed that visual response is very useful. A frequency trace from a DAW is equally useful. You can obtain the actual frequency in Hz, play your held note back, and teach your ears to pick up the slightest inconsistencies.

I've just been trying out holding the needle steady on a tuner. Mine has two settings, bass and guitar. Holding the needle steady in bass I find easy; guitar is not so easy. The tuner will also hold on high C when I am singing C4, for example. So, if your note is wobbling in brightness, the needle can start jumping about.

I recently read somewhere that rock singers generally tend to sing a bit flat, and blues singers a tad sharp. So, absolute precision is less important than consistency. It should be relatively easy for bellalangen to adjust from his direct sound to his recorded sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's not bad, but I'm having a hard time hearing you because it seems like you're mumbling along. Maybe try to sing louder, it will do wonders for your tonal quality and probably help with hitting correct pitches as well. It's not bad though, it does sound like you are able to hear the melody and follow it (so you're definitely not tone deaf).

Archived