Advice Please! "You Still Move Me" cover

bitsofsong

• Members

Hello! I just stumbled upon this forum and everyone seems to have a lot of great feedback, so I thought I would post a recording of myself and see if I can get some advice on how to improve. I am just getting back into singing regularly after a long hiatus, basically from being too shy to sing in front of anyone! I took about a year of voice lessons about 12 years ago in college, so I feel like I'm pretty much a beginner getting back into it. I know I sometimes have pitch problems, and I have a natural vibrato that sometimes goes all over the place. So any feedback, criticism, or advice would be appreciated!

This is a cover I just recorded last night of the Dan Seals song "You Still Move Me." It is very rough, and I'm recording with a $10 (literally) microphone that I just randomly picked up. So I know the quality is not the best. I'm also recording directly into my laptop, so it's only allowing me to record in mono. But excuses aside, here you go! :) Oh, and please excuse the piano mess-up towards the end...I missed a few chords. :) Thanks!!

https://soundcloud.com/bitsofsong/yo...move-me-101614

• Members

Hi :)

I just listened to your version and I didn't know the original song. The major problem here is your projection. It's almost like you restrict your voice. Maybe it was in the intention to make a 'sweeter' version, but i think you shouldn't be afraid to give some power :)

Some basic thing, but it sounds like your singing while you're sited. Which cut your breath on the low long notes. Sing standing, relax, take a deep breath and your singing voice will be smoother.

The tone of your voice is interesting, you should keep up the work and you will eventually be more comfortable again very soon.

Anyway, keep working, it's promising. :)

• Members

Thank you for listening and for the feedback! I find that I do tend to hold back when I sing and it's not intentional, so I will definitely work on adding some more power. I was actually standing for this one, but I was looking down at the keyboard to play so I don't think that helped. I also need to work on my breath control, so I'm not surprised that you commented on that. :) I will definitely work on both of those things! Thanks again!!

• Moderators

Hi there,

I think your voice has a good sound naturally. Though its fine to sing in a delicate soft tone, the singing was a bit under-supported. I would try to get use to adding more projection, resonance and body support to the sing, then once you have a good foundation, you will be able to sing softly without dropping your breath support. Except a few spots here or there, the pitch overall was okay. I think the vibrato sounded closer to a shaky breath support rather than a natural vibrato. Natural vibrato should come from an even breath balance. Generally I think you should focus on trying to sing slightly louder, especially for the chorus.

Hope this helps

• Members

Hi Davie,

Thank you for your feedback! My best friend actually kept telling me that there was a weird quality to what she thought was vibrato but she didn't know the technical terms, so shaky breath support makes perfect sense! I know I need to work on my breath support, so it helps to know that breath support will help that "weird" factor also. And the advice to since louder makes sense also. Thanks again! :)

Archived