Is it considered singing if you don't use your natural voice?

GabeLogan

• Members

Ok, so I'm not really looking to become a singer but I do sing sometimes. The thing is that when I do sing I'm not using my natural voice. I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone but when I sing I'm pretty much doing the same thing I do when I do voices. It's like I'm making a sound that sounds good but it's not what I really sound like. When I do sing with my natural voice it sounds terrible.

• Members

If you repeat anything for long enough, it can become "naturalized" or "second nature".

E.g your speaking voice, including your accent, is mainly subconsciously naturalized by your environment and temperament.

Your voice is constantly evolving in its various situations, and how it originally sounded is no more natural than what is now second nature.

If you train your voice, that aspect of it will naturalize consciously. Very demanding and exacting features of the trained voice will not become as "second nature" as subconsciously naturalized features, and would require ongoing practice.

Anything that is not naturalized, or second nature, will often sound that way, unless you have some sort of "gift" for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I sing with pretty much the same voice I speak with, it's just my normal voice. But I can intentionally sing in a mocking voice, which I do when singing in front of people who I don't want to be singing in front of. So it's like, I'm already acknowledging that I suck, so when I inevitably suck, there's no news there. I sing the correct notes, it's just the tone that is all weird. I also do this when singing to my cat.

Archived