Greetings Harmony Central - singers!

Robyo

• Members

I've been lurking a bit and picked up some good pointers on improving my vocal technique. So, I finally registered! Happy to say "hello" to all the musicians at harmony central forums. Looking forward to learning and sharing and communicating with other musicians!

• Members

Thanks Highmtn and Davie! It's nice to find a place where people can share information about vocals in a relaxed way. I think singing (like dancing) is a quality everyone has access to and should utilize, but only a few really do.

I am wondering, what do people like to do for warm ups? I find that yoga and mantras have done much to improve my voice. I am a big fan of classical Indian music and enjoy using a shruti box. It is an instrument that plays a drone which makes it very easy to harmonize with.

Of course, nothing beats sitting at the piano and playing scales, then trying to emulate the intervals with voice. Repetition is key :)

• Members

You are correct, Robyo... Scales, scales, and more scales will get you warmed up. Of course, you are best off if you start out with scales on lip rolls first, to warm up and limber up the vocal cords. Then advance to vowels like the AH vowel, AA (as in hat) vowel, and EE vowel. Simple 1, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 1 scales are usually sufficient, starting at about G3 and moving up a half-step each successive time. You can stop about when you get to C4 going up to C5 on the 8 note.

Relaxation, as you well know, is also key to singing. Remaining relaxed as you go through the vocal paces helps to maintain vocal health and to access the full range of your voice.

Bob

Archived