What do you think of my singing here?

• Members

I realize I missed a low note in the first line..:/ I hit it sometimes but you know....

Can you critique my overall vocal skill? I've never had a vocal coach and haven't learned the basics, but I sing frequently in the car and in the bathroom getting ready for the day. I'd really like to get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBTrhIkY8-k

I notice lately that after singing for a bit, I need a few days vocal rest before I can sound as good again. It's either my voice is strained or sinus issues. Let me know if you think I use too much of my throat. Thanks.

• Members

@sillyputty,

You do have some good qualities to your voice. It's evident that your voice is untrained. One of the first things you could do that would help your voice to have greater consistency is to learn what is commonly called "diaphragmatic breathing".

Of course every breath we take is done by the work of the diaphragm, but diaphragmatic breathing for singing is a different way of using the breath than normal everyday breathing to stay alive. Support is also an aspect of diaphragmatic breathing.

Your voice has a tendency to fade in and out, due to the inconsistency of your exhalation. Singer's breathing is done in a more controlled and regulated way. We release the breath over a longer period of time than when we speak. We sustain vowels. We want controlled consistency.

This helps us to hit the right pitches and sustain a pleasing sound.

There are many vocal methods that teach diaphragmatic breathing exercises. Many can be found by doing google searches, and many have free demonstrations or lessons on this topic.

Improper use of air, or overuse of air can cause the vocal cords to dry out, and it can take a couple of days or more for them to recover.

Your voice is interesting and has potential.

Bob

• Moderators

That was okay. Its a bit pitchy in a few places. I know the original version is sung somewhat softly and breathy, but I would try to avoid that and practice it in a moderate voice instead, at least for the time being. Singing a lot with a soft and breathy sound can affect breath support. Maybe you can try singing something that's more moderate in dynamics.

• Members
Is there any reason why you're singing so softly?

The original is pretty soft as well and my phone is terrible as a recorder; it doesn't pick up sound well although I sang right into it. I would need a better recorder as well as some vocal coaching.

• Members
If you need dark deep sounding tone then daily practice "O" vowel that is the excellent way to work on low notes.

I think I flawed there because of the transition. I've hit the note many times before but it's not a guarantee.

• Members
Pitchy in a couple of areas but BEAUTIFUL overall. I hope you develop your great potential to the full! I'd say you just need some proper training as you've never even had a voice couch.

Thank you; that's really kind :) I'd like a voice coach

• Members

Hi silliputty23!

Wonderful song and a nice movie ;)

Overall I think you have great potential!

I think it's just a matter of learning the right technique, and practice - and you will certainly sing out your potential. I would start with breath work, and the support - since it is the most essential part when you sing ;)

I am actually a singer and vocal coach myself, and what I often do is something called discovery sessions. I hear you sing, help you map out a plan to reach your vocal goals - and we see if working together would be a fit (no strings attached). This is for free. Does this interest you?

Feel free to contact me: contact@charlotteberg.com or PM me on facebook: facebook.com/charlottelberg!

The best of luck to you! Lots of love, Charlotte

• Members

Sorry, but I can't hear a thing. I turned my volume to maximum and then still couldn't hear much. I would recommend a better mic either a USB one $60-100 or one with an interface, which is better but more expensive.

Archived