One little pipe can make all the difference

• Members

I love the way Calicchio trumpets sound. A lot. So much that about a year and a half ago I bought a used 1s/7. And it was good.

But one thing bothered me about playing it. It was tight. Really tight. Compared to my Kanstul it felt too small and actually wore me out quicker. The sound coming out the end was wonderful but I couldn't control it the way I wanted.

So I sent the horn to Calicchio to have a #2 leadpipe put on it. I'd gotten to play the different models and the 1s/2 seemed to be a better fit for me. Well, it arrived today and the very first note on the horn really popped out, way more than it used to or on my Kanstul. And it had power to it, and a lot of thickness that the #7 seemed to lack. The sound is much bigger and it is much easier to play in the upper register than the #7. The sound is also warmer, and it sounds much better playing sonatas than the 1s/7 did.

I know there are only like two people who really read this forum but I wanted to share anyway. This horn is the way I wanted my Calicchio to play and sounds better than ever. And they even sent back the old leadpipe, so if I ever have a project horn of the right bore size I have a piece for it!

• Members

One day, I'm going to find a nice Dominick built Calicchio for myself.

The leadpipe is a big reason why Malone's Yamaha Chicago horns sell for well over $1000 more than the next model down in the Yamaha line. And why my daughter's Malone conversion Bach C has many suitors, though she's not selling any time soon.

• Members

My Kanstul is the 1600, the Bergeron model, very different from the 1001.

Mark, if you ever check out New York Trumpet Company, I believe they will be stocking several of the Tulsa Calicchio models now. It'll give a little idea how they stack up, since each one is so different from the other models.

• Members

Mark, if you ever check out New York Trumpet Company, I believe they will be stocking several of the Tulsa Calicchio models now.

I'd want one built by the old man with some mojo still in it. It's not a high priority. It would be cool to have one vintage horn. Until a reasonably priced old Committee comes my way, I'd opt for a Dominick-built Calicchio, a Burbank Benge, or even an Olds Recording/Super Recording.

• Members

I'd want one built by the old man with some mojo still in it. It's not a high priority. It would be cool to have one vintage horn. Until a reasonably priced old Committee comes my way, I'd opt for a Dominick-built Calicchio, a Burbank Benge, or even an Olds Recording/Super Recording.

Any of those would be a blast to own. In the college band I played in this past semester, one guy had a whole slew of Benge trumpets. He told me he had an LA, a Burbank, and even a Chicago. He didn't bring those to rehearsals though; he brought his Monette instead.:eek:

Have you ever played a New York Calicchio? I know the Hollywood models are more famous but I'd like to try a New York sometime too. I don't even know how many were made in NY but I don't think there were many.

Archived