Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brass newb question

hi,

i know nothing about horns or trumpets - have an ornamental horn - bought for a sound effect, but i notice although the horn has a mouth-piece, it does not seem to contain a reed (the mouthpiece is separate but fixed (at the moment). i haven't blown the horn yet because it is filthy with dust and debris - needs a good clean - but presumably any brass-type instrument needs a reed to sound?

advice appreciated

thanks

Ric
    <div class="signaturecontainer">ric</div>

On a brass horn, the reed is replaced by your lips. The mouthpiece holds the lips so that when blown, they buzz and the horn produces a sound.

You are right about cleaning that before playing it. Some old, unloved horns can make you ill with the crap in them.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Play more bass.<br />
    </div>

Comment

On a brass horn, the reed is replaced by your lips. The mouthpiece holds the lips so that when blown, they buzz and the horn produces a sound.

You are right about cleaning that before playing it. Some old, unloved horns can make you ill with the crap in them.

many thanks - need a feather duster or something for this one - but it's solid brass, i am impressed: hope i can blow a note on it :-o

lol

Ric
      <div class="signaturecontainer">ric</div>

Comment

Working...
      X