Before the Music Dies

sabriel9v

• Members

I'm watching this documentary about the music industry right now. There's definitely a bit of bias, but it's very interesting nonetheless.

Ha ha! You have Troy in your Avatar. Did you notice how Fender started making Silverbursts for him so he could match Brent and Bill.

Sweet!

• Members

hmm care to give a short summary? I'm all about truth, but if the bias is too heavy (on either side), it would only be a waste of time IMO.

Um I finished watching the movie last night and it's really not too heavily biased. It's biased against major labels and mainstream media outlets, but the film really takes a more anti-corporate and anti-politics stance as opposed to major labels are evil, simply because they're MAJOR, boo hiss hiss! They make a fair case as to why major labels may not be suited for artists looking to be super innovative and unique.

The film actually has more music business employees than artists. People who are djs, a&r guys, marketing people, columnists. They had Erykah Badu, Bonnie Raitt, and Dave Matthews in there and they made some excellent points. Doyle Bramhall was featured and they use him as an example of an artist who would have been a huge hit in the seventies, but major label politics prevented him from flourishing. The movie is really good, I enjoyed it a lot.

Archived