Yorkville NX520P?

• Members

On a Behringer thread yesterday, I inquired as to what might be a better quality choice in powered speakers than the Behringer B300's. (For keyboard/acoustic guitar/vocals, no percussion or drums, clarity a priority over volume, using Behringer non-powered mixer, which seems to be okay). Wanted to spend about $1000 for the speakers.

It was suggested that I seek out a pair of Yorkville NX20P's (thank you, "J the D"). I'm not seeing those for sale anywhere, but I did see the NX520P (apparently retailing for about $700 each). Should I just squeeze some more money out of my budget and try to go ahead and get two of these? I'd rather buy the right thing the first time. Has anyone used them and had favorable or unfavorable experience?

I was originally considering just getting a pre-packaged Yamaha EMX66M/S15E PA Package (600W powered mixer, 2 S15E 2-way speaker cabs), having noticed that Yamaha was getting decent comments on many of the threads here. Would the Yorkvilles offer cleaner/better sound overall? Other advantages?

• Members

my wife uses the nx20s down here in key west 6or 7 nights a week. They are great i chose them for the price the warrenty and the fact their so light wieght i have to set her up out on a pier everynight. I use the yorkville ap812 powered mixer it cost i think 879 delivered the speakers were 379 each delivered. talk to dan from audioeast he is great and his prices are as low as they go. I think its audioeast.com or just do a web search for audioeast. I got the padded carring case for the mixer i think it was 40$ so i can carry the 2 speakers for one trip. The mixer speaker stands and mike stand in another so i can set her up in only to trips. You can save a 100$ or so and get the mackie 808 or yamaha emx5000 insted or the yorkville ap812 but the yorkville has sweepable mids and icant remember now but there was another reason too that i chose it. Besides the 2 year even if you drop it off the truck warrenty.

• Members

Haven't posted much lately. My wife and I bought a motor home and have been doing a little traveling. Back to the subject, I a/b the B300 against my MS400 and wrote a post about it. Anyway, here is what happened. Friends picked the B-300 over the MS-400, one was a guitar player, that had write up in Guitar player mag. several years ago, another a fantistic keyboard player and a drummer that had a music degree. They chose the B-300, I was a little partial since I owned the MS400's, personally I couldn't tell the difference. I can't justify spending twice the money, if it isn't at least twice as good, my opinion. For a small club or for mostly vocals, with key's and guitar the B-300 will work. Plus the money won't be wasted because you can use them for monitors later if you decide to go to a larger rig. I've heard that they are 175W on the lows and 50w on the highs, now if you took a power mixer at 200w into 4ohm (two 8 ohm speakers) there is no way you would have the same efficiency. Bottom line, go into a music store try them yourself, take a few friends with you, they don't have to be musicians. In fact, it might be better since that's who you will be playing for anyway. Cheers Denny.

• Members

The 520P's can be had for $640 delivered. They are 2x the price of the Behringer because they are 2X the speaker

550W

2 year "no fault warranty"

25 lbs lighter (they are around 42 lbs versus almost 70 for the Behringers)

they too can be used as monitors or mains

If you want something of quality that you will always have a use for in your rig then spend the extra dough if you have it. You'll be glad you did later.

• Members

Question is, if you took a poll would they sound twice as good ? Not to the average person, I agree there are better speakers. The sky is the limit, if you have the money. But if your going to play small places, that pay 250.00 to 300.00 a night, it seems abzurd. I still have friends that use 200watt powered mixeres, with two speakers on a stick, work every weekend and that is what it's all about, isn't it? Also, if the time comes when weight matters, you get some one else to carry them or hire a sound company. For a young person 68 pounds, shouldn't be a problem. Anyone picked up a powered mackie sub latley? Cheers, Denny

• Members

You get what you pay for. When you hear the difference you don't want to go back. That has been our experience with the NX-20s. The only time we would rather not use the NX-20s is when I fire the Elite EF-508s up, then the NX-20s make wonderful monitors.

The powered version of this speaker (NX-520P) attached to a mixer would be an awesome sounding rig.

YMMV

• Members

I don't think it's abzurd at all. Good gear costs money. Behringer is gear, but no good gear. If you are in it for the long haul then the ol' "buy once cry once" can't be stressed enough. Even if you decide to get out of it. You're gonna get much more percentage for resale out of the Yorkvilles. I don't consider $1300 for a quaility biamped FOH a "sky's the limit" pricetag.

Also, keep in mind the meaning of "good enough". I know I want to sound "as good as I can". I can't tell you the number of times I've heard people say "Man, that band sucks". At least 1/2 the times it ain't the band, it's the PA.

• Members

But can you really hear the difference. Granted my hearing isn't as good as it use to be, playing has taken it's toll. That's why I asked different guys, for their 2 cents worth. Now I didn't have a yorky to compare, but the MS400 I thought was a good one. Let me give you an example, I've heard how bad the mackie cfx mixers are and how cheesie the effects are, but there are a lot of guys using them around here and working steady. Are they going to be stars, nope but the're having fun sharing their music making a little spending money and they are happy. If I took a poll, said my Musicman bass was the best, trust me opinions would go on for ever. For instance MIM fender really doesn't sound bad. I know guys that use them and are happy sooooo, maybe I'm being abzurd! Denny

• Members
www.audioeast.com has the NX20's for $369 apiece with free shipping. I would also recommend Dan at audioeast; I recently bought a console from him and was quite satisfied. He posts here from time to time and is a good guy--give him a call and see what he has to say. From what I've heard, those Yorkies will trounce the Behringers, and at a good price to boot.

• Members

Originally posted by Stingray5

But can you really hear the difference.

It's all about headroom!

The powered Yorks will have it, the Behringers will be pushed to the brink in nearly all situations. Without headroom you sound like an AM radio. The sound is very one dimensional.

Sure you may only need Behringer power levels to obtain adequate dB's, but they won't be QUALITY dB's. Just because you are playing small rooms doesn't mean you don't want power.

• Members

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, certainley no expert on db levels, but how loud do you have to get? I mean the B300's kept up with my MS400 and certainly didn't sound like a raidio. Have you a/b these things with any other speakers? It sounds like I'm trying to push B300 speakers, I'm not, just a honest comparison. Not just myself, but other very good musicians heard them too. They gave me their vote, if they sounded bad, believe me they would have said so and so would I. Denny

• Members

I have not had the opportunity to try the powered versions but we extensively use the NX-20s powered by a Yorkville AP812 powered mixer. The sound is extremely crisp and detailed and I am amazed at how smooth the mylar tweeters sound. Having said that they DO NOT sound as good as the Yorkville Elite EF-508s we use for bigger venues but they are only half the price of the 508s.

Before buying our complimentary system (NX-20s and EF-508s) we rented various systems by Peavey, Mackie, Crate and Yamaha. IMHO the Yorkies NX-20s are the best available in their price range.

• Members

No, admittedly I have not A/B'd them. I am speaking in general terms. I know the components, amps and power is better in the Yorkvilles. Certainly, for lower volume, acoustic material the B300's will work.

It was just my opinion that if you have the $$$ don't skimp. It reminds me of what my barber does. I ALWAYS have him cut a little more and he ALWAYS says the same thing. "I don't mind, I can always cut a little more off, but I can't put it back on once I've cut it."

At some point you'll be in a situation where you'll wish you had more power. Outdoors, for instance, takes much more juice than indoors. If it comes down to not playing because you can't afford the gear then, sure I guess you have to buy the lesser thing. BUT - if you have the means, DON'T SKIMP! You'll never be sorry if you slightly overbuy, and you'll have much more confidence in the capability and quality of the gear.

Archived