A question about Peavey 2-way P.A. enclusures (SP-2x vx. SP-5x)

• Members

Of the SP-2x and the SP-5x, are they meant for different applications? I am aware that the 2's are more expensive than the 5's, but does that mean necessarily that the 2's are better? At the moment my band is using a 2 on one side of the stage and a 5 on the other (the 5 is a loaner while the shop fixes our 2). Seems like the 5's just sound better (lighter too!). Is this my imagination? P.S. we run the Mains in mono w/ a mackie 1400i, which I believe means we're running 300w per side. SP-2x's claim to have higher peak power rating than the SP-5x's. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Dave

• CMS Author

Perhaps the remaining 2x is also in need of work.

I've tried both recently and the 2x sounded a LOT better.

The 1400i is rated 1400w bridged into 4-ohms, 700w per channel into 2 ohms. I'm guessing 350w per into 4-ohms, maybe 225w per into 8-ohms? The SP's are 8 ohm cabs, so you'd be getting significantly less than the 2x's rated maximum unless you run them in parallel and bridge the amp, where you'd be getting 750w each.....a wee bit too much there.

• Members

I'll throw in my two cents. We have a pair of SP2X's and they are quite good, very good for what we do with them. I am amazed at how far you can feel the "thump" from the speaker when playing a CD through them. I am familiar with both the SP2X and the SP5X, and the 2x is MUCH better than the 5X.

• Members

The SP2x are good speakers,no doubt about it.But if you got more money Check out the SP7x fronts.I use these and can testify they awesome.We use a Mackie 808 head and this is killer combination.The SP7x are 3-way and the low end is fantastic.I also have a pair of SP2's and there is no comparison the 7's are that good..Peavey PA gear is good gear and perfect for a gigging band.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

The 1400i is rated 1400w bridged into 4-ohms, 700w per channel into 2 ohms. I'm guessing 350w per into 4-ohms, maybe 225w per into 8-ohms? The SP's are 8 ohm cabs, so you'd be getting significantly less than the 2x's rated maximum unless you run them in parallel and bridge the amp, where you'd be getting 750w each.....a wee bit too much there.

:confused:

Where do you get 750w? Wouldn't it be 1400w to both speakers (or 700w if the wattage gets divided between them (which I don't think it does, but I cheerfully admit that I'm not an expert))?

Sorry if that's a dumb question...

Archived