drum mics? worth a damn- audix fusion?

• Members

we are looking at the six pice audix fusion kit for micing the drums live. are these things good. or should i just try to get my hands on some 57's and a decent kick mic?

how much micing is really necessary?

my drummer wants to mic all five pieces and then have two overheads for cymbals. is all that really needed?

• CMS Author

I get a little skittish when a company uses Blink-182's drummer for endorsement. But the D6 is a respected drum mic. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the Fusion Drum Pack. You'd have to spend another $200 for the DP182 Pack. But then you get a case with Travis Barker's pic on the lid..... :rolleyes:

You can't go wrong with some SM-57's and a Beta-52 on the kick. For about $450 you can get 3 -57's and the -52, plus three of their drum mounts

• Members

I don't generally have overhead mics in the small to medium clubs I play. The 3 vocal mics plus the toms/snare/hi-hat mic's generally pick up enough cymbal bleed to do the job for me.

Drum mic's can spark a religious debate among SR guys. The kick mic usually being at the center of the debate. Most guys can agree on SM57's and/or Sennheisser e604's for most of the kit except the kick.

• Members

FWIW, I have never seen Audix mics on any major riders as the preferred mic for any circumstance.

That's not to say that they're bad -- just that they might not have caught on yet.

Yorkville TX comes to mind in that respect.

Point is ... if you're going to buy mics, buy something that's tried & true.

Archived