using guitar effects pedals on vocals

• Members

Hello,

I'm wondering how to go about using my Sound City distortion pedal on my

live vocals and I was wondering how I would connect the mic to the pedal,maybe through a D.I. box or would it be impossible for me to control it from stage?

has anyone had any success using guitar effects on their voice?

grateful for any advice.

• Members

I've never tried it myself, but I saw a show (Martin Sexton) where he did it to great effect (pun intended).

He had a separate mic set up (an SM57). I'm not sure if he used a DI or not. I'm also not familiar enough w/ the funtionality of DIs to tell you if you could use this. The other option would be an Impedence matching transformer (you can pick one up for about $15 at most music stores). XLR in to transformer to 1/4 out. plug it into the pedal and then out to the board.

Again, I have never tried this and others here can better tell you what the best method would be. Let us know how it sounds. :D

• Members

I've seen it done - did sound for Howe Gelb recently, and he used a little delay pedal so he could switch echo on and off. He used a couple basic adapters, not even balanced, which could have been a problem with phantom power. I'd recommend transformer-based adapters, which you can get at music stores or Radio Shack most of the time.

• Members

Hey,

The first band I was in I was even more naive than I am now(IMAGINE THAT!)...anyway, I used a Digitech RP-5 for delays,reverbs and ocassionally a little distortion. I wouldn't reccommend it for the delay and reverb(there's better units). It did the trick and many people thought it was a great idea. Megaphones are also a neat stage prop(just watch the feedback with any of these). Hope this helps.

Archived