Disassemble SM57

• Members

Would anyone be able to explain how to fully disassembled a Shure SM57LC? After examining it for awhile, I'm hesitant to disassemble for fear of breaking it. I'm the type that like to take things apart to see how they work. I figure maybe I would be able to pick up a broken 57 for cheap and fix it myself.

• Members

Not easy, you need to compress the screened retainer (it has top and bottom crimps that hold the cap on) and the element housing threads onto the body. Be careful, the wires connecting the transformer to the element are fragile.

You know Shure will repair those for a flat fee. See their website.

• Members

There is a special tool made to dissassemble them, as there is a locking ring inside the headshell. However you can carefully insert a very small jewelers screwdriver under the headshell and unlock the ring, and then the headshell will pop right off.

To reinstall, place the locking ring into the headshell and slide straight on the housing, and it will snap into place.

• Members

Put it on a snare drum and wait. ;)

But seriously, don't bother with a good, working SM57. Ask around, see if somebody's got a broken one if you're that curious. Or just look for a shitty old karaoke mic and take that apart - the innards will be essentially the same.

• Members

Anyone know of a good way to unscrew microphone heads which are stuck to the main body housing?

We've got this TOA mic right now which isn't working, but we cant even get inside the thing to see what might be the problem. The head/windscreen part should just screw off, but this one seems to be absolutely stuck.

Anyone else encounter this when repairing mics? I reckon someones put glue or loctite or something on, might have to be a brute force job :(

Steve.

Archived