Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Isolation headphones on a budget

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolation headphones on a budget

Hey guys , I have to get a pair of isolation headphones for times when we mix in the same room together.

I looked at some and found this pair, Tell me what you think of these or if you know of something better.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Direct-Sound-Extreme-Isolation-Headphones?sku=240170

Ive got 5 pair of em so I'd give you the the thumbs up on them. They do what they advertise better than any of the others and are pretty rugged.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

We use the Vic Firth's here in the studio and all the musicians that have used them love them. Superb audio quality, very well built, and they get extremely loud if necessary. Most important they are extremely isolating, even with the loudest of click tracks, never any bleed.

Comment

Find out if MF friend is selling the current version of those phones.

They are quite listenable. A little on the mellow side, but that's far preferable to the overly brite sound of most phones (such as the industry standard Sony).

The isolation is very good except for bass frequencies, which go where ever they want ;-(

They don't play all that loud. Loud enough for comfortable listening, but not as loud as most folks run their PA.

http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

Comment

They have great low end response, and will get loud enough to cause permanant hearing damage easily if they are properly powered. Their audio response is very similiar to that of the Sony MDR 7506, a bit bright, but otherwise very high fidelity. Our experience is the HF emphasis helps in clarity around loud sources.

In 6 years I've never had any isses with the Vics bleeding into tracks, and I've had them painfully loud.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, The Vic Firths are a lot less than the ones i am looking at .

Is there a big difference between the two ??

Comment

Sennheiser HD280's are also very popular, and can be had for $79.99 on newegg.com.

Comment

The Sennheisers are nice sounding phones but do not offer the isolation of the Vic or Extreme's.

Vic Firth Technical Information:
                  Speaker Type: 50.m/m Dynamic Speaker Mylarcon
                  Magnet: NFB 15x1.5 Four-Hole Style (50u)
                  Sound Pressure Level:110.Db +/- 3dB (1mw at 1kHZ)
                  Rated Input Power: 30.mw
                  Max. Input Power: 100.mw
                  Impedance: 250-ohn +/- 15%
                  Frequency Response: 20HZ - 20kHZ
                  Cord: 12.5 F coil cord with 3.5 stereo plug (1/4" and 1/8" plugs included)
                  Comfort Features: Automatically self-aligning for perfect fit and protection.
                  Broad foam cushions provide maximum comfort.

Direct Sound Extreme Isolation Headphones Specifications:

Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
                  Drivers: 40mm
                  Impedance: 64 ohms
                  Sensitivity: 107 dB/mW
                  Cord: 9'
                  Plug: stereo 3.5mm with gold-plated 1/4" adapter

The Vic's claim 24db of reduction, the Extreme's 28db. Both are excellent at isolating hp audio from mics.

Comment

The spec sheet of the HD280's claims "max. 32dB" attenuation. Granted, this doesent mean much, as that much attenuation is probably only at high frequencies, but they do isolate quite well. (Though maybe not as well as some others mentioned in this thread.)

Comment

My experience with the HD280's is they have no where near that isolation. They sound very nice, but at high levels for things like click tracks, they can be heard across the room.

Comment

Originally posted by where02190
                        My experience with the HD280's is they have no where near that isolation. They sound very nice, but at high levels for things like click tracks, they can be heard across the room.

Fair enough. I haven't used the ones you mentioned, so I really can't compare, but they work for my purposes, so I figured I'd throw the name out there.

Comment

Nick,

Have you compared the Vic's to the Extreme's? If so, how do they stack up? I have a pair of the Extreme's and am curious about the Vic's if I needed another set of isolation 'phones.

Thanks,

Joel
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">God Bless America!</div>

Comment

Both the Vics and the Extremes sound very good and are pretty uch the same quality wise. the Vic's are less expensive, and VF is great about replacing them for free if you have any problems.

Comment

Thanks, Nick!
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">God Bless America!</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X