Mackie micro 1202

• Members

Hey, just wondering about my mackie micro. On channels 5-12 it has mono and stereo for each channel, I understand that I need mic cables with one end 1/4 jack but where do I plug it in (channels 5-12) mono or stereo.

Someone help me do this right, I had to come over from the drum forum, because you guys live and breath this, so please can you help?:lol::wave::D

where do I plug my mics in, tell me what channels.

D-6

(3)D-2's

(2)D-4's

shure 57

F-15's for overheads

if your not familiar with this mixer

channels 1-4 have 1/4 jacks or 3 prong

channels 5-12 have 1/4 jacks with mono/stereo

so if I used all 5-12 every other one would be stereo, go figure. :wave:

• Members

Put the most critical mics (snare, kick, etc) in channels 1-4, since those channels have a trim pot for the input level. Try grouping the remaining mics, ie: toms in channel 5-6 & 7-8, overheads in 9-10 etc. Make sure you pay attention to the pan controls on the stereo channels. If you just want a mono send to the house mixer, use the left (mono) output in the master out section.

• Members

I think the F15s are condensers for overheads, right? Therefor you MUST use those on the regular XLR mono channels to supply them with Phantom Power. I'd say Kick, snare, overheads on the XLR channels and you can adapt the remaining mic for toms into the line in channels.

BUT...

You've got some decent mics. adapting them into the line ins will work but not that well. You really NEED to get a bigger mixer with sufficient mic channels with actual mic preamps in each channel. The Behringers do work for cheap, or bump up a bit to a Peavey PV series, or you can pick up a used better quality mixer like a Mixwiz, another Mackie, or similar.

Having those mics and using adapter on a Mackie 1202 is cheaping out, no matter your opinion of the mixer to start with, nor how much it cost new. You are asking it to do too much ;>(

Boomerweps

• Members

I think the F15s are condensers for overheads, right? Therefor you MUST use those on the regular XLR mono channels to supply them with Phantom Power. I'd say Kick, snare, overheads on the XLR channels and you can adapt the remaining mic for toms into the line in channels.

BUT...

You've got some decent mics. adapting them into the line ins will work but not that well. You really NEED to get a bigger mixer with sufficient mic channels with actual mic preamps in each channel. The Behringers do work for cheap, or bump up a bit to a Peavey PV series, or you can pick up a used better quality mixer like a Mixwiz, another Mackie, or similar.

Having those mics and using adapter on a Mackie 1202 is cheaping out, no matter your opinion of the mixer to start with, nor how much it cost new. You are asking it to do too much ;>(

Boomerweps

Even if I am running it threw another board (main)? Wont it do the job? because I don't want to buy another. Or can't you help me make it do the job? :cry::D

• Members

I get it, your trying to submix the drums so you don't eat channels on the main board. I'd recommend going with only the main board and using kick, snare and overhead (1) if channels are a problem. If you do submix your taking control out of the soundperson to adjust eq, insert efx (comp/gate), and basic gain control. Considering kick and snare are 2 very important things in the mix I wouldn't do it. Maybe submix your toms?

p

• Members

Even if I am running it threw another board (main)? Wont it do the job? because I don't want to buy another. Or can't you help me make it do the job?
:cry::D

You have 9 mics (assuming 2 or more F15s). You have EIGHT channel inputs on the 1202, 4 mono (mic/xlr) and 4 stereo. Trying to place 2 mics into the L & R of the stereo channels serves no good purpose. Even recording for a moving effect, there is insufficient control to do so.

So, worst case, insisting on using the stereo channels without a normal mic preamp, you would use the first four mic channels for your "money" channels and what requires them. The condensers that need the Phantom Power must use an xlr to receive it. Then there's the kick and snare, they need the most control. Then you'll need xlr to 1/4 TS (2 conductor) adapters with matching transformers preferred. then you have to pick which toms will be individually miced and which may share a mic.

I wouldn't bother with the adapter route. I'd mic either with just the kick, snare and 2 overheads, or kick, and 3 tom mics placed around the kit. ALL the tom mics will pick up the snare some. IF you are using the 1202 to save channels on a larger mixer, fine. You might be able to use a few of the channels on the main mixer. If so, send the kick & snare direct first and then whatever else. The use the 1202 for extra tom channels, co-ordinating with the soundguy to set them up during soundcheck.

Boomerweps

• Members

What about the problem of insufficient gain on the stereo line channels???

Exactly, one of the reasons I said it would not work well and emphasized the lack of mic preamps.

The whole concept of people buying an advertised 12 or 14 "channel" mixer that only has 4 or 6 true mic inputs and then trying use mics on all those channels would be funny if it wasn't so sad. And the really annoying part is that it is fellow drummers that get fished in, because who else always needs a bunch of channels right away when just jumping into mixing.

My reply was IRT:

"Even if I am running it threw another board (main)? Wont it do the job? because I don't want to buy another. Or can't you help me make it do the job?"

Even though I tried to steer him in the right direction in my 1st reply and in the 2nd reply, more mic channel mixer or use less mics, he seems pretty insistant on plugging everything he can into the 1202 and not upgrading the mixer.

Boomerweps

• Members

Exactly, one of the reasons I said it would not work well and emphasized the lack of mic preamps.

The whole concept of people buying an advertised 12 or 14 "channel" mixer that only has 4 or 6 true mic inputs and then trying use mics on all those channels would be funny if it wasn't so sad. And the really annoying part is that it is fellow drummers that get fished in, because who else always needs a bunch of channels right away when just jumping into mixing.

My reply was IRT:

"Even if I am running it threw another board (main)? Wont it do the job? because I don't want to buy another. Or can't you help me make it do the job?"

Even though I tried to steer him in the right direction in my 1st reply and in the 2nd reply, more mic channel mixer or use less mics, he seems pretty insistant on plugging everything he can into the 1202 and not upgrading the mixer.

Boomerweps

Point taken, less mics it is, and if I need anymore channels I'll use the main board for the kick/snare/ overheads. and the mackie for toms. I believe you guys on this stuff more than my drum forum. You guys live and breath this stuff, right?

Now...I'm going to be building Bill Fitzmarice's speaker cabinets (tuba 24) any suggestions? tips...anyone...:wave:

Archived