Speakers for the gigrac 1000?

• Members

Hi, my niece (17) is in a band, they have a drummer, keyboard, bass, lead, and my niece plays rythmn and sings.

I've decided to get her a gigrac 1000 from soundcraft, and I was thinking of getting her a pair of JBL JRX 125's or a pair of Peavey pv 215's, but then I did a search here and i found this lead on harmony-central. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1269754.html

So, after reading this thread, I'm more confused then ever, on what to buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The logic in the thread was that perhaps a single "15 and a sub would be better (and that possibly both speakers-the JBL and PV were not that good sounding). Thanks.

• Members

Hey buy what you want but have you actually heard this mixer, IMO you could do much better with a Yamaha or peavey when I was looking for a box mixer I compared the Gigrac,Yamaha,and the Peavey and the gigrac was 3rd on my list and it was a very distant 3rd. Not even in the same leauge as the other 2 I ended up with the Yamaha EMX512 and after 1 yr. i'm very pleased I use either my EV SX-500s with cerwin vega sub's or if it's a real small place I have some old yamaha sv-115s on pole's that do a good job. Not to belabor the point but before you buy your box mixer at least listen to a few other's:thu:

• Members

Dandy Don, I haven't previewed the Yamaha powered mixers, though I did read a couple of reviews on the emx5014c and the emx5016cf, which were all good. Didn't even think about peavey, except as a speaker. I'll check out the mixers you're talking about and the speakers.

Big mike I'll look into those speakers you mentioned. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If necessary, I would have paid for pricier stuff, but my main goal of keeping it as light weight as possible led me to a couple of Peavey PV15's. They sound surprising good for what they are and for $159 each new, there was simply no reason not to buy them. They've so far been working great with my Gigrac 1000. Ten times easier to schlep in and out of bars every weekend than those huge bins that are now mostly gathering dust in the garage.

Of course, we're not miking the amps anymore...just works better for us that way.

Archived