My First Install. Advice...?

• Members

Ok, so I am doing my first install by myself. My parents' church is building a new location and they have run into money problems. I offered to do their design and install for a good price because they are kind of backed into a corner right now on money and I also could use the experience.

Overall, it's not a huge room. Maybe 50ft long x 40ft wide x 24ft high (Will have the accurate specs in my hands tomorrow). Might seat 350 tops. Anyhow, I am looking at the EV Evi 12s or 15s. Don't know too much about them and wanted to know if anyone had any experience in a similar setting??

Unfortunately, the folks running this deal are not up to speed on anything audio related and they have allowed themselves to fall way behind as far as install goes. Drywall is up and there is very little overhead access and no place to fly mains. Front walls are at odd angles and will not allow large cabs to be mounted anywhere. Anyhow, I figure I can get the coverage and power I need without taking up a ton of space and creating an eyesore.

So, I am wondering if you can wall mount these and just some overall opinions on the product itself. Like I said, this is my first install so any info is appreicated.

Thanks,

John

By the way, any suggestions on speakers to sub in place of the EVs will be appreciated too. Definitely looking into something with a white cabinet. Size is a concern.

• Members

WoW!

Good luck on that one. I don't have any advice on your situation, but after what I have been through doing my first install preperation, I feel for you.

I have finished the design phase, and am now ready to order parts. I am finding things I forgot. The final "bottom line" is going to be over budget, but I know I have a bit of leeway, in my case.

• Members

So, anyone have any experience with these speakers??? Just curious.

P.S. 6Imazdi, I am not too worried about budget. I can cut out things on the board end and build them up later. My main goal at the moment is to get my "stage" end built and I will work my way back to the booth when I can. Plus, I am going to go through the setup at their current location tonight so I can see what is going to transfer into the new install. Everything else that is not able to be used or will be updated is my payment.

Like I said, mostly doing this for the experience, but it will be nice to pick up some new gear for my rig.

• Members

Run away as fast as you can. Why would anybody want to "learn" the install trade on a project with so many possibilities for disappointment stacked against it.

If you have never flown anything, and do not have the education/experience/certification to do so, you are opening yourself up to some pretty hefty liability exposure as well as placing other people at risk. Do you carry liability insurance?

Without experience, you would be doing the church a disservice IMO. You get experience by working for other companies, taking trade classes, studying things like the applicable articles in the appropriate code books.

For example, do you know what the seismic bracing requirements are for the jobsite location? What is the allowable wiring types accepted, is this a class1, 2 or 3 installation? Is there any plenum space code requirements? What is the rating of the structure you propose to hang the speakers from and is their an engineer's certification that the structure is acceptable for this load? What is the lien structure on the project? You might want to find out SINCE there is already a funding problem and you stand a good chance of being way down the food chain when trouble occurs. Don't think that churches always pay up... they are one of our toughest customers for past due accounts.

You might search this forum for past installation topics we have discussed. There is some good information that might help you make a good decision.

• Members

Trust me, I know low voltage wiring and Pro install. I have done it for several years now, but always under the wing of another person. I am not flying these cabs, I am wall mounting them on a wall that is more than enough to handle the weight. 4 cabs/4 seperate walls. Y

Yes, I know the liabilities and quite a few of the solutions to the problems. This is not a horrible install. It's very cut and dry and very feasable. While I appreciate the advice on the precautions to take when thinking about doing such a job, I am really just interested in opinions on the product I asked about. In my opinion, the size and design of the cabinets merit some opinions due to the fact that I have never worked with them before.

As I said, I am not handling this job as a business venture, just a favor for friends of my parents that will provide some free gear and good experience. I know my building codes and I have a pretty decent grasp on common sense. I am not in the practice of creating hazardous situations for occupants of the buildings I work in. I know how to avoid these situations and I know what my limits are. However, I appreciate the concern...

• Members

Yeah, I was trying to figure out if the EVIs came with a wall mounting option. Their size and shape seemed to dictate that it was a possibility, but I can't find any documentation on such an option. I like the looks of those ZX1s and apparently the ZX1i comes in white. They definitely look to take off some of the weight of the cab, I just really liked the design and throw pattern for the EVIs. Guess you don't always get what you want though...Lol.

Archived