cooling fan issues

• Members

the fan on channel two of my crown xs900 has once again stopped. it grinds a little when it starts, and sometimes wont start at all. if i remove the cover and nudge the fan it starts and runs fine. i need to replace this fan.

i have emailed crown several times and gotten no response.

i have an event on 6/12/07 that i will have to use this amp - outside with little shade. i'm going to have to improvise a solution until i can get a new fan for channel two. i can mount a large 120MM fan across the front easy enough, but i understand the air should be pulled out the back rather than pushed through the front. placing a fan on the back of the amp is difficult as the speakons and banana's are right there.

the only other amp i could possibly substitute would be a plx2 3602 and thats just too much power for the speakers i am going to run, and i dont like that idea at all.

please advise.

• Members

I believe putting a fan in front would be a good temporary fix. Keep the amp out of direct sunlight if you can.

Some of those fans are pretty easy to fix on your own also. Do you have access to the fans power connector? Maybe you can do it yourself. Computer stores or specialty shops should have a good replacement. Search the fan's part number online. I'll bet you can find an exact replacement.

• Members

i may be able to do that. when i was in there last time i beleive the fan has a simple plug onto the main board. but i think it is a 24V 2 speed fan, and thats a little odd. i may be wrong about this.

also the fan is held in with a strange strap that i may be able to recreate with zip ties, i dont know for sure.

i will have to wait until late tonight to pull it and get the numbers.

i have a 65CFM 120v fan sitting at my shop, i think thats quite a bit more airflow than the crown fan.

• Members

Here's a possible fix-it suggestion (if you're up to the task):

1) Remove the fan.

2) Remove the sticker covering the fan motor.

3) Under the sticker should be a rubber plug.

4) Remove the rubber plug (a sharp awl can be used to carefully pick the plug out)

5) lube the motor bearing under the plug with sewing machine oil, or other quality lube oil. Do not use penetrating oil.

6) Replace the plug, sticker, and reinstall the fan in the amp.

7) Check for function.

• Members

Here's a possible fix-it suggestion (if you're up to the task):

1) Remove the fan.

2) Remove the sticker covering the fan motor.

3) Under the sticker should be a rubber plug.

4) Remove the rubber plug (a sharp awl can be used to carefully pick the plug out)

5) lube the motor bearing under the plug with sewing machine oil, or other quality lube oil. Do not use penetrating oil.

6) Replace the plug, sticker, and reinstall the fan in the amp.

7) Check for function.

Then replace the fan with a new one as soon as possible.

• Members

here is some good news. brenda price from crown actually answered my email, i called her at crown and ordered 2 fans and two straps, shipped tomorrow. probably will not make it here in time for next wednesday, so i am going to try and place my 65cfm fan outside the amp in such a way as to draw air through it.

i'll oil the fan again before next week. the first time i did that i got another month out of it.

• Members

yeah i figure if one went bad might as well do both. they are ony about $6 each, which is a lot less than the $40 pabst fan i have on my iso box (cant hear that fan at 7volts, pulls air like a mofo - at least enough to operate a g4 at room temp inside a box)

the straps are $.50 each. cant beat that, but i would have been willing to pay more for a higher quality fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

UPDATE:

i ran the amp last week for 3 events outside, 90F - 100F temps and sunny, channel two fan was spinning but i placed the 120mm fan in front of the amp anyway. amp stayed cool and sounded great. largest audience was under 550 persons.

last night i pulled the rack and took out the amp to replace the fans. what a freaking nightmare. i had to completely dissasemble the amp. i had to pull the main board, all the sub boards, panels, wire looms to get at the fan ties from under the main board. i was able to leave the power supply intact (thank god because it was a whole other project if i had to pull that) and prop the main board up sneaking my hands underneath to feed the ties through the board.

while i was in there i discovered the speakons are not rotatable as i had hoped as they are soldered to a circuit board (and chassis mounted).

the whole thing took 75 minutes but i was pretty scared i was going to make a mistake the whole time. i did not.

it fired right up after i put it together, both fans work correctly and they both move a lot more air than before although they are indeed the same model fan.

i did it but i never want to be an amp repairman in the future, not my cup of tea.

crown was great after i finally got in contact with them, sent me the fans quickly and it worked well.

i cannot however recommend that most folks replace these fans on their own. some of you guys here would have no problem but i reckon most would.

Archived