Gymnasium Setup opinions please

• Members

Hello everyone. In a gymnasium...playing from under one basketball hoop...how bad would the comb filtering really be if we stacked the mains on the subs with about 15-18 feet of spacing? Would we be better off to put it all on one side? Because we will be on the floor, we need to get the mains up, and they don't have pole sockets (old PAS 15's with horns). Putting the subs in the middle seems like they'd be too high visually in front of the band, too. They are Peavey 118 hcs...about 37 inchs tall. In the real world, where everyone will likely be in their original place during the show...will comb filtering kill our bass with a little crowd of about 100 kids with that spacing? Will any individual even notice if they stay relatively in the same spot (guessing not)? Or would the benefit of raising the mains be worth it, even if they move around a little, like kids just might? This will determine if I need to make a stand for the mains and just couple the subs somewhere, since we usually play on a stage...not on the main floor with the subs. This may only be a one time deal. If not, how hard is it to install pole sockets and get them properly centeder for the weight distribution of the speaker (am I using the right term...cups...brackets...ummm?) Thanks.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

If your gym sounds like every other gym I have been in, I wouldn't worry too much about comb filtering.

For a crowd of 100 you should be able to use 1 top box per side. You will want the horns above head level. Angle them so the area in front of the stage is covered to your liking.

As for the subs, comb filtering is the least of your worries! The room is going to go "boom" for you, so you will find that you are not using a lot of your subs and what little you do use will be heavily Eq'd (on the channel EQ)looking for definition. Your house EQ will be hacked up fighting the boom and rumble. Given the amount of reflections you are going to have in the gym, trying to figure out which sound is comb filtering and which sound is natural reverb will be pointless.

Here is a pic of a gym show I did a while back. Check out the house EQ! :eek: Cleanin' up the mud! When we do outdoor work, the graph stays flat, as we have the rig dialed in on the processor. All the carving in the pic is room based.

Archived