could I have any problem using Monitor Outputs as main PA outputs?

• Members

I intend to buy a Yamaha Stage Pass 300 for small gigs in classrooms, small school and hotel halls, etc.

However, I suppose that the 300W of the Yamaha Stage pass 300 won't be enough for bigger gigs. Then I've decided to buy a pair of RCF ART 322-A (big monsters!). Then I would like to use the 2x150W Passive Speakers of the Yamaha as Monitors (fed through the Main PA outputs of the Yamaha, and connect the 2 RCF (as mains) to the Monitor outputs (passive) of the Yamaha Stage Pas mixer.

Do you think I could have any problem using the Stage Pas mixer in this way? I mean, the main PA speakers through the Monitor outputs?

Do you also think that with the reverb included in the Yamaha Stage Pas 300 I could have enough? Is it very bad? Some people say it is just a horrible echo, but others say that's perfect for vocals. I just want a little amount of reverb (just sometimes, since depending on the place I play, I prefer to keep the voices dry 'cause there's enough natural reverb). Does the Yamaha mixer provide enough quality to feed two higher quality RCF?

I just want to play some backing tracks, an electric guitar through a Boss ME-50 and 2 or 3 vocals.

Thanks

• CMS Author

I intend to buy a Yamaha Stage Pass 300 for small gigs in classrooms, small school and hotel halls, etc.

However, I suppose that the 300W of the Yamaha Stage pass 300 won't be enough for bigger gigs. Then I've decided to buy a pair of RCF ART 322-A (big monsters!). Then I would like to use the 2x150W Passive Speakers of the Yamaha as Monitors (fed through the Main PA outputs of the Yamaha, and connect the 2 RCF (as mains) to the Monitor outputs (passive) of the Yamaha Stage Pas mixer.

Do you think I could have any problem using the Stage Pas mixer in this way? I mean, the main PA speakers through the Monitor outputs?

Do you also think that with the reverb included in the Yamaha Stage Pas 300 I could have enough? Is it very bad? Some people say it is just a horrible echo, but others say that's perfect for vocals. I just want a little amount of reverb (just sometimes, since depending on the place I play, I prefer to keep the voices dry 'cause there's enough natural reverb). Does the Yamaha mixer provide enough quality to feed two higher quality RCF?

I just want to play some backing tracks, an electric guitar through a Boss ME-50 and 2 or 3 vocals.

Thanks

Should work fine. There's no difference between the main signal and the monitor signal, and neither's level control will affect the other's.

• Members

With regard to effects, I would strongly recommend a used Peavey Addverb. I have a cheap mixer with built-in FX, and I thought it was OK. Then I picked up my addverb, and it sounds so much better. The used addverbs are really cheap, I saw one go for $30 + shipping on ebay and I got mine for $52 shipped. It seems like a tank, as you would expect from Peavey. Mine has some scratches and looks pretty beat up, but it sounds amazing, especially for $52.

I have also heard good things about the Alesis Midiverb line, but I have no personal experience with that.

Its probably no coincidence that I set out to get the best deal on all my rack gear, and then woke up three months later and ended up with all Peavey.

Archived