live setup question

• Members

I am playing in a church with really high ceilings, that seats probably 1200, very live sound. We are basically a rock and roll band. Loud guitars, drums, bass etc. I was at the board EQing my own guitar while my buddy was playing it for me. I had my amp on the side of the stage, pointing in towards the middle of the stage, with decently loud stage volume. As hard as I tried I could not EQ my amp so that it sounded good FOH. I think it was because the stage volume was muddying it up. should I just point my amp straight out so that it's heard more directly or should I try to isolate my cab somewhere and rely solely on the PA? Are there any tricks I should know about amp placement or PA eq? What would you suggest?

thanks

• Members

Just use the amp as a monitor for the band, mic'd as usual, with a high ceiling you'll probablly need to take off any reverb effects on the amp and on the desk start to roll off at about 250-400Hz (experiment to remove muddiness) with a low cut at about 100. You might need to add a little high to cut through but don't add too much because it will bounce all over the joint.

If you have a graphic FOH EQ, 'gently' rolling off the top end starting at 10kHZ should help with any harsh reverb or feedback caused by the high ceiling. But dont take off more than is necessary or you will lose clarity and 'air'

Archived