Help setting DBX 223l x-over

• Members

I should not mess with stuff. The PA I bought was running in mono because one side was not working so I go by this DBX x-over to run in stereo and tonight we had some issues. Everythig was loud except for the kick drum which was very weak. The whole channel, cable and Mic are properly working. The kick sounded great the last time we used them in mono with the old x-over. You all know this x-over. How should I set it up? We are using 4 EV downfire subs and a Yorkville EX2000 2x15 top boxes. Also using a Shure Beta 52 mic. What is the deal with the x1 - x10 thing? Thanks!

• Members

Xovers are USUALLY set between 80-100hz depending on your cabs but thats a safe starting point. Stereo subs doesn't make much difference in almost any situation. I am sure someone here could think of one (maybe odd placement of one sub due to a poor room design would require separate control of each) but few if any go that level unless they do larger shows (with riders and requirements) or have a specific need. Mine have always been mono. In fact my entire PA is in mono because for club work, stereo doesn't work all that well since so few people sit in the sweet spot. Lots of folks run a stereo PA as dual mono in fact (the system is stereo and almost nothing is panned either way.)

• Members

I am new to running subs with an active crossover and I found it helpful to put the crossover in my FOH rack so I could tool around with it and hear what was going on. My first few outings it was with the amps and it was difficult to make adjustments.

Like axis player said, that 10X button is the likely cause, maybe your phase buttons too.

Do you have any limiters in your amplifiers? Maybe if they are in the sub amp they should be disabled. I know my QSC amps have specific settings for subs.

• Members

Well I think I can remember how he set everything but let me explain how we had it set up last time in mono. Last time we ran mono because only one side of the x-over worked. Not sure of the brand as it did not have a name on the front but given where this pa was originally purchased and has yorkville EX2000 for the tops and Yorkville AP4040 amps I assume the x-over is a Yorkville. Our soundman crossed it over @ 180hz and it doesn't have that x1 - x10. We ran a splitter out of the low and then ran one side to channel A on one amp and the other to channel A on another amp. The tops then went to each side of the last amp. When we ran it like this the PA was loud and the kick drum was so good it almost made you poop your pants lol. I should have never changed anything but my buddy had a hard on to go stereo.

So now we are running the tops to one amp and all of the bottoms to one amp in stereo. It is still crossed over @ 180hz but this has that x1 - x10 deal so that confuses me. Should we split out of LF sub to run a mono signal to the subs and use 2 amps again? Everything in the PA sounds loud but the kick while sounding good is weak compared to everything else.

• Members

I would venture that you should dial it back to about 100 hz as the starting xover point and make sure the multiplier is on X1. I would have subs in mono. There is nothing wrong with stereo subs if you are going to use separate amps anyway, but I would not use my pan (I would never pan a kick or a bass so that it favors one sub.) I don't split my LF to two amps, I daisy chain them, but whatever works for you.

• Members

I'd verify the sub amps are seeing anything first by playing a cd with all the amps on, then shut off the mid/high boxes. The EV subs are the S181? I have 1 pair and HPF them around 45 pretty steep. There should be a 40hz high pass (or low cut) on the crossover.

Basic settings:

Input: 0dB

LF output +6dB (or +3)

LF/HF: 100hz

HF output 0dB

set both channels indentical, also make sure the unit is in stereo 2 way not mono 3 way (switch on back). all freq switches set to X1.

• Members

Well our soundman has a good ear and knows how to mix but doesn't have much experience with different gear a working on the fly. The subs were working but not great. So he gets there and realizes one of the phse inverter buttons is pushed in lol. So he fixes that and runs the bottoms in mono from the LF sub and takes a listen. Low end much more prominent but muddy. Sets the x-over @ 80hz and says it sound better then the last time we used it. Thanks for the help!

Archived