Mixer To Camcorder

• Members

I want to patch from soundboard to camcorder. I found one related thread - it dealt with remote mic's however...

The input on the camcorder is for a mic - the input spec is

"-57dBv (with 600u microphone)/5Ku or more"

I'm guessing this is teeny tiny power input, and an unaltered aux send or even rca monitor out from the board would turn the camcorder into a paperweight.

What, if anything, do I need in this situation? (besides a clue, I mean)..:facepalm:

• Members

I'm not a pro at this but you'll likely not get a good solution to input your board mix into the camcorder without a line input. So, perhaps you can record the board on some mp3/hard drive recorder. Then, bring both the video with associated audio and the board mix into a video editing program. Align the audio with the camcorder audio and mix or eliminate the camcorder audio altogether. Pro guys will talk about SMPTE time codes...but I've done this before by just lining things up by eye..syncing drum hits and watching mouths, etc.

• Members

All you need to do is pad the line signal by 40-50dB. Commercial balanced pads are available for this purpose. We also custom build pads with custom connectors, transformers, housings etc.

You will need to consider what input connector the camera has.

• Members

I'm assuming that you have a 1/8" stereo input to your camera.

This Beachtek thing is what a lot of the semi/pro/sumer folks use to get XLR into a 1/8" stereo jack:

http://www.beachtek.com/dxa2s.html

There are a couple of options just like it around 100-$150.

I have had a lot of problems with those minijacks into a GL-1 and other canon prosumer equipment, but these little boxes typically work well enough for most folks at that level of production. If I had to do it for a job, that is what I'd do.

Of course, if you've got the line outs and are pretty close to the board, a line level (RCA or 1/4") -> 1/8" jack would probably work just fine and is a cheap enough solution to try. It won't hurt your camera, even if it hurts your ears.

• Members

Of course, if you've got the line outs and are pretty close to the board, a line level (RCA or 1/4") -> 1/8" jack would probably work just fine and is a cheap enough solution to try. It won't hurt your camera, even if it hurts your ears.

IF the camera's input will accept line level. Some will not.

Archived