Voicelive2 output to my mixer question

• Members

I have just ordered a TC Helicon Voicelive2. Before I did this I downloaded their manual to get a better feel of the product before it arrived. I looked through the manual and didn't see anything about this but; what do I plug the Voicelive 2 output into on my mixer, the "line input" or the "mic" input. The VL2 has provisions for phantom power and mic gain setting so it would seem with this that I should bypass the mixer's mic pre's and go directly to the "line in" jack.

Any thoughts?

• CMS Author

I have just ordered a TC Helicon Voicelive2. Before I did this I downloaded their manual to get a better feel of the product before it arrived. I looked through the manual and didn't see anything about this but; what do I plug the Voicelive 2 output into on my mixer, the "line input" or the "mic" input. The VL2 has provisions for phantom power and mic gain setting so it would seem with this that I should bypass the mixer's mic pre's and go directly to the "line in" jack.

Any thoughts?

You can use either. The VL2 can output at either line level for 16dBu, or mic level for 0dBu.

• Members

I use the mic input of mine. For practical purposes it secures the cable to the unit better since it's XLR so it locks in. It also guarantees a balanced signal all the way through. Some mixers may not have a balanced line in input.

• Members

not sure about the voicelive 2 but on my regular voicelive there are two outputs, a mic pass through (xlr) and a pair of balanced 1/4" jacks.

I learned the best way to run mine was to run the xlr to one channel (no fx, use for monitors) and the 1/4" stereo pair to another channel for the mains (fx output from the voicelive)

when you just run the output with fx to a single channel the monitors feedback like crazy, splitting it into two channels worked great and no more feedback.

Archived