Will Peavey SP2's be enough ?

• Members

Here is a quick question. I am doing a small outside party for apprx. 75 people. It will just be me and my acoustic guitar. I will be mostly be the focus of attention but not totally. People will also be wandering around, eating and drinking as well as dancing. I'm wanting to know if you think a pair of SP2's on poles will be enough for this, or should I also add a pair of subs ? I don't need a huge amount of volume but I do need a decent full sound. I realize that a single vocal and a acoustic guitar does not utilize that much low frequencies but it does add that little "extra" that gives it the fullness that I like. If you think that the subs are unnessesary, I am fine with that as it is that much less I need to haul around. I should also mention the SP2's are powered by a peavey XR8600 which is at the low end of the power rating for those speakers. I would greatly appreciate your opinions. Thanks

• Members

For those are recent SP2's they are rated at 500 watts continuous sine wave at 8 ohms. Earlier versions where 400 watts or less. The specs on that powered mixer is 600 watts at 4 ohms. Dual amplifier, EQ, Mic Preamp. Not bad for a powered mixer. If you run off one side to both speakers to get a 4 ohm load, you will be under powering the speakers. So don't play loud and avoid clipping so you don't damage the speakers or over drive the amp.

Aside from that, SP'2 do a great job if you don't have EAW money to spend. Guitar and vocals are mostly mid range sounds, no needs for subs.

Mike T.

• Members

The XR8600 is 600 watts per channel at 4 ohms or 475 watts per channel at 8 ohms. So, each speaker is getting 475 watts. I know it is just under the 500 continuous rating but it still seems to do fine. Adding the subs with another amp seems to "free up" the 475 watts per speaker a little but I was hoping that I could avoid lugging those subs around if I didn't have to ! ha ah I think I will try the sp2's by themselves before I actually have to play the gig and see how they do.

• Members

My Brother,

We used to run our entire band using an XR8600 with (2) SP-2's. I'd use a Peavey 20 channel mixer into one of the powered mixer channels. E-Drums, piano, organ, vocals. We'd also use a couple of monitors powered by the monitor amp. Small clubs sounded great. No subs needed.

Trust me, I play with a lot of pro's and bigger isn't always better.

We have a bigger tri-amped rig with subs and tops for bigger venues. Don't get caught up in the hype that you need a huge rig for all gigs. Be smart!

• Members

by 55fmj:

The XR8600 is 600 watts per channel at 4 ohms or 475 watts per channel at 8 ohms. So, each speaker is getting 475 watts. I know it is just under the 500 continuous rating but it still seems to do fine

That should work fine. I over power my SP2's a bit, but then I don't play loud. 700 watts at 8 ohms power amp (Yamaha P7000s) for a speaker rated at 500 watts. I like the added punch and I have a compressor/limiter. Some "tech" people told my I should use the 1000 watt "Program" rating to determine how much juice to put through them, and someone else told me I should absolutely positively Bi-amp them. I did none of the above. 700 watts is plenty of power and as long as I don't play loud my setup should work fine for years to come.

I wouldn't bother with subs if I was using a guitar and vocals with SP2's.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Archived