Optimal setup for vocals/bass/keyboard - Could use some advice/opinion

• Members

Hi all. First time poster here, but I'm really impressed with the quality of feedback I saw for other people. I'm hoping I can get in on this!

So, I play in a hard rock band. I am the singer and keyboardist. I will be getting a new keyboard any day now (Kurzweil PC3x), and while I'm at it, I'm hoping to upgrade my overall set-up. I currently play my keyboard out of a Peavey TKO 115s bass amp, which I also share with my bassist. I have always loved the sound of that 15" speaker (this model didn't come with a tweeter). This is what I want to improve.

For my vocals, I use a Yamaha EMX68s powered mixer. It has two built-in 400W amps. I can either use them for 4 main speakers, 2 mains and 2 monitors, or bridge them for 800W through 1 speaker. It has "unpowered" main and monitor outputs. Furthermore, both the main and monitor sections have their own 7-band EQ. I currently have 2 Yorkville NX20 speakers (1x12" / 1x1" 350W), which do the job for vocals.

What would be some ideal arrangements to make all of this work together? Here are some options:

1) Dedicated keyboard amp. Roland or Yorkville, in the range of 100 W. Either one has 1x12" and 1x1". 550$. This doesn't touch the vocal set-up.

2) Used bass amp (newer than what I have now). 1 x 15" and 1 x(1 or 2)". Different models available at a local shop (Peavey, Fender, SWB, etc.) all for the same price, 350$. This doesn't touch the vocal set-up.

3) This option has many variants (some of which may not make sense, because I don't understand this kind of stuff too well), but they are all based on plugging the keyboard, bass and vocals through the powered mixer.

The manual says I can use a powered speaker as a monitor, so could I use my TKO bass amp as a "powered speaker"? The bass amp is essentially a powered speaker with a preamp... right? Would I need a crossover? How much does a crossover even go for? I would want to do this to keep the awesomeness of the 15" speaker, but benefit from the mid/high of the NX20 speakers. This option is free!

OR, I could upgrade the NX20 speakers I currently have. Something with a good low end (for bass and low-end keyboard), but it has to have good mid/high for keys and vocals. Space is a bit of a concern, because we practice in a small room. They couldn't be much bigger than the NX20 (which are equivalent to the current NC35 model). If this is a preferred route, I would need some suggestions, because I know less than nothing about speakers on the market. (I can talk about a friggin jet engine for hours, but when it comes to amps/speakers/mixers/etc., I = :confused: ). I have no clue how much this would cost.

Maybe I could buy a proper powered speaker (rather than use the bass amp). In that case, would I still need a crossover? Cost?

I'm sure there are other possibilities too with this EMX68s powered mixer. I would love to hear suggestions.

My budget is on the order of 1000$ I guess. Less would be good, as I was completely ready to spend almost 600$ on a keyboard amp before I realised there is probably a better way. I mean, wouldn't it make sense to use the powered mixer for all this?

Thanks in advance!!!

• Members

So currently you are playing in a Hard Rock band with no monitors?

Staying Yorkville you could pick up a couple of YX15P's, powered monitors. they would do okay for both keyboards and vocal monitors. Possibly slightly better for vocals woulld be the NX25P.

The NX55P (or the NX750P) would be nice for keys and vocals but your budget would only allow one.

You would/could run keys and vocals through your mixer's monitor line out to your powered speaker; levels and mixer EQ set to your taste.

Add a sub if you want more bottom. Go powered with internal crossover and processing, you don't need to mess around learning about crossover points, filters and limiting (at least not all at once). Again staying Yorkville an LS801P (fairly used) would be nice.

Your tops are fine. I've got four NX350's I use for monitors.... They're basically the same as the NX20's which are as you mentioned basically the same as the NX35's. I would add a sub before I switched speakers, and I would add a "proper" monitor before I added a sub.

So within your budget you could get one nice powered speaker, two budget powered speakers, or one nice (but used at that price) powered sub. Remember also that at some point you may need to switch to a passive board with all that entails. But if your board is working for you then don't fix what isn't broken.

Lots of manufacturers (JBL, QSC, EV....) offer similarly priced model lines, although prices will depend on your location.

Archived