Slightly unusual gig tonight (PA setup)

• Members

It is unusual for several reasons:

It is a smallish bar and the only reason I am bringing 2 subs and 2 tops is because my wife nearly cried when I suggested that I didn't want to have my rig setup differently before my own gig next week (ie compressors, gates, gains, channel eq's etc) since she pre-committed me to this and didn't want to lose face ;)

I will have 3 vocals and the kick going through the A&H (along with break music). The bass and guitars will all go with just stage volume. There is no plan to have any monitoring ability since it is a pretty small space and I keep the vocals up decently loud anyway.

Using my little mixer was my compromise to keep my system from being re-wired and reconfigured resulting in an almost mess-up of my own band setup.

How do you guys think this will work out?

• Members

You should be all right.We played a smaller bar last night,and all I ran through my little system was vocals,and kick drum. You can tell when someone walks or stands in front of their amp,but other than that (and being a smaller room this may be a good thing depending on the guitardist),I have no problems with this type of set-up at all.

• Members

One or two of the positive features of a powered system. The difference of one or two subs is only the box it's self. Another plus is they make a nice tight speaker stand. (as long as your using the correct poles but I know you already have them)

• Members

It went really well. Those XLF's and DSR's really thumped the little place (at only about half of what they are capable of putting out).

An interesting side effect of having little space and putting all the amps (and drums) along the back-line was that a little bit of the guitars, bass and drums came through my ND767's giving it a little bit of spread and ambience. Unintended, but sounded pretty good.

The real winner was definately those XLF's. Good, tight, punchy all night long. I had tons of complements on the sound.

There were only around 60-75 people in the bar (which made it packed ;) ), and this system easily covered it in a limited footprint.

I don't think I will ever drag out my full instrument rack with my mixwiz again for a small gig like this. It sounded really great with just that little ZED 10FX and my normal FOH powered speakers.

• Members

It went really well. Those XLF's and DSR's really thumped the little place (at only about half of what they are capable of putting out).

An interesting side effect of having little space and putting all the amps (and drums) along the back-line was that a little bit of the guitars, bass and drums came through my ND767's giving it a little bit of spread and ambience. Unintended, but sounded pretty good.

The real winner was definately those XLF's. Good, tight, punchy all night long. I had tons of complements on the sound.

There were only around 60-75 people in the bar (which made it packed
;)
), and this system easily covered it in a limited footprint.

I don't think I will ever drag out my full instrument rack with my mixwiz again for a small gig like this. It sounded really great with just that little ZED 10FX and my normal FOH powered speakers.

Good one!. You got to love good quality active speakers for their ease of use - I got PRX tops and bottoms and they need bugger all EQing.

How do you feel about the ZED mixer? How does it compare to sound-wise to the mix wiz?

Cheers

• Members

Good one!. You got to love good quality active speakers for their ease of use - I got PRX tops and bottoms and they need bugger all EQing.

How do you feel about the ZED mixer? How does it compare to sound-wise to the mix wiz?

Cheers

The ZED has surprisingly good sound. It worked especially well with my active speakers since (as you stated), they really require no eq to sound good.

The stage (and I use that term very losely ;) ), was tight and one of the microphones was very close to the back of one of the DSR tops. This resulted in a single instance of a boomy feedback in the sound check. I was able to use the single sweepable mid on the ZED to isolate that spot and take it down a bit and the problem stayed gone all night long.

The MixWiz is a better board, but not really a better sounding board to my ears. What I mean by that is the efx seem to be on par, the mic pre's seem identical (and forgiving), and neither board has any noise at all.

The difference is in the channel eq. The second sweepable mid on the MixWiz is quite useful if you know how to use it.

Sound quality wise, I didn't hear any difference to speak of between the two, but mind you, I wasn't doing an A/B test.

I was really surprised at how good of a sound you can get with 3 vocal mics and a kick (I used my Audix D6 straight into the board). The kick had heavy padding inside so I didn't have ring issues (thank God).

It didn't hurt that the bass player was fantastic and the drummer had great control on the snare and cymbals and didn't get wild with his hits.

• Members

Zed 10fx is a great little mixer when 4 mic pre's are enough. Bugs me that the stereo channels are not L/mono and right, but are true stereo - that is, you can't just plug say, a guitar into the left one and treat it like another channel.

• Members

Good one!

I like the look and sound of the Zed series. I had a good hard look at them before I went with a Studiolive.

And yeah, good musicians always make it a lot easier.

Cheers

The ZED features are certainly not in the same league as the StudioLive. The sound quality may well be, but if you need compressors, gates, etc, then the StudioLive is going to excel IMHO.

And as you stated, having good musicians really made the whole thing work. The band was ecstatic with the sound (all original band). They had never played on such a good system. On breaks they were asking all kinds of questions about the PA. Perhaps they learned something ;)

The bands PA consisted of a Behringer mixer with a pair of JBL EON 15" speakers (the big plastic ones). I hooked up one of the speakers to the thru on one of the DXR's to use as a monitor. I could barely get any volume on it at all before it started feeding back. Can't believe JBL puts their name on such crap.

• Members

...my wife nearly cried..... since she pre-committed me to this and didn't want to lose face.

Hopefully your wife is in the sound game too ... otherwise, OUCH! The commitments I make on my own are often painful enough - having my wife "pre-commit" me would really hurt!!!!!

• Members

Hopefully your wife is in the sound game too ... otherwise, OUCH! The commitments I make on my own are often painful enough - having my wife "pre-commit" me would really hurt!!!!!

She is a wonderful woman who doesn't ask for much ;) It wasn't all that bad to force me to go out and drink beer with my wife while listening to a really good band play really good music. I could have done without the carrying of my gear for the purpose of having someone else play music on it, but eh .... whatever makes her happy I guess.

I would really have liked to have known ahead of time though ;)

Archived