Gain structure help

• Members

I've got an A&H GL 2400 running through a mono Ashley 31 band EQ, to a DCX 2496 3 way mono to a pair of double 18 subs (2000w rms) and a pair JBL SR4731 tops. I've got 3 - QSC amps powering the rig, (1) DCA 3022 (950 w @ 4 ohms/side) on the subs, (1) DCA 3022 running the 12's in the JBL's and (1) GX3 running the JBL horns. Here's where I need help. I can nearly max out the console and occasionally "tickle the clip light on the EQ yet the power amp (3022's) LED indicators are only hitting the -10db. I've got the gains on the DCX set as input gain 0db, Low out @ +4, mid out @ 0 and high out @ -2db. Amps gains are wide open. Should I try for more output gain at the x-over or more input gain (+3 or more ) I know I'm under powered on the subs and when I'm outdoors I need the extra power. I just don't like pushing the board that hard. The amps have never even "tickled" the clip lights. I believe the 3022's are 32db gain and 1.5v sensitivity. Thanks for any help.

• Members

Something is very, very wrong.

On your eq, is there a -10dB sensitivity switch on the output that might be incorrectly set? It should be set to +4dBu nominal.

Also, are you using all balanced connections? If you do 2 balanced to unbalanced conversions, you could lose 12dB of headroom without realizing it.

Also, check that there are no hardware or software sensitivity controls in the crossover. I am not familiar with the options it provides.

In none of these pan out, it would probably be in your best interest to find a local service guy who understands gain structure and has the test equipment to analyze and identify where it's going wrong.

• Members

Bypass the eq straight into the B unit.

If you have the same issue then the B unit is your issue.

You mentioned individual gains for each bandpass eh?

Did you check the main gain setting?

Have you read the manual to make sure you have your i's dotted and your t;s crossed?

;)

Archived