New buds for in ears

• Members

I have a galaxy audio in ear monitor setup. Been using it for about two years (I'm a vocalist) and love it. My current ear buds (shure sl2's?) are starting to short out. Can anyone recommend a low cost replacement? Rock cover music, I run mostly vocals through them with low guitar, no bass or drums

• Members

Yeah this topic interests me as well ... one of the Live Wire ear buds I've been  using for the past 3 years or so was physically damaged such that a piece of the molded plastic shell (on the side that is in contact with the ear) cracked and broke off. Worse, a tiny bit of the broken shell simply was gone by the time I realized that the bud had been damaged.   I superglued it back together ... and electronically, it continues to function - however, the little bit of seam created by the glue job and the little missing piece has certainly rendered them less comfortable than before. 

Specifically, I'm hoping somebody can suggest some potential vendors whose prices for custom molded buds are closer to the $300-$400 range than the $600-$800 range that the upper echelon vendors like Ultimate Ears. 

• Members

Interesting article.  It started off by saying that there was a lot of subjective opinion in rating the earpieces.  I suspect that's very true.  They don't measure out well as you have to consider they will respond a bit different in everyone's different ear canals and also according to fit.You don't have the option to test in anechoic conditions as you do with speaker systems.   If you don't have deep ear impression molds you will not get the true bass performance that any device is capabable of.

You also need to consider how you will be using the units.  If you are going wireless you will likely be losing a fair amount of quality (unless you are using digital units).  So I suspect the sonic differences between units will be less important than if you go wired.

Archived